Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RKilbane20

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
So I've been with ATT since it was Cingular. My parents split their family plan after they got divorced without telling me. I've had unlimited data since the first iPhone. I get a text about 10 minutes ago saying I've exceeded 200 dollars in data and my account is shutoff. Well apparently I've lost my unlimited plan and I currently don't even have a data plan according to ATT's website. What are the chances ATT refunds the data charges and gives me my unlimited back.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You should call them.
Also it would be nice if they told you they were changing the account around and all the data changes.
You could have ported your number under your own plan or something.
Hope they will still let you have your unlimited data back.
Talk to a supervisor and explain what happened. Hope they help you out and understand your situation.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
Considering that you have to have a data plan with a smartphone I'd say that they will most likely refund it. Not sure about the unlimited.

RKilbane20

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I could sell my dads and my iPhone 5 to pay for the ETF and new iphones on Sprint or Verizon. The thing is you have to a data plan with an iPhone so this is ATT's fault when the accounts were split. I've used 4.7 Gigs of data since they turned LTE on in Columbus.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
This could have been after he moved out, went off to college, etc. I don't think it's necessary to question the OP's personal life here.

They switched the cell phone plan without telling him! They didn't get divorced without telling him.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
They switched the cell phone plan without telling him! They didn't get divorced without telling him.

Doh! Swore I read that correctly. Okay I'm an idiot. It looked ambiguous when I read over it quickly.

I read

after they got divorced without telling me.

which was obviously incorrect. AT&T is annoying. His parents may not have been properly informed of the scope of the changes made. Unlimited data was obviously a grandfathered feature. They should have been notified they'd lose it with the plan change, but AT&T does things like this. That's why I'm not with them.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Doh! Swore I read that correctly. Okay I'm an idiot. It looked ambiguous when I read over it quickly.

I read

which was obviously incorrect. AT&T is annoying. His parents may not have been properly informed of the scope of the changes made. Unlimited data was obviously a grandfathered feature. They should have been notified they'd lose it with the plan change, but AT&T does things like this. That's why I'm not with them.

Either AT&T didn't tell them, or in the heat of the divorce they just didn't care.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Call AT&T and figure out why there is no data plan on your iPhone, then go from there. You should have been taken from an unlimited to one of their individual data plans.

iAll

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
SE NH
Call AT&T and figure out why there is no data plan on your iPhone, then go from there. You should have been taken from an unlimited to one of their individual data plans.

Generally AT&T doesn't allow you to have a smartphone without a data plan.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
So I've been with ATT since it was Cingular. My parents split their family plan after they got divorced without telling me. I've had unlimited data since the first iPhone. I get a text about 10 minutes ago saying I've exceeded 200 dollars in data and my account is shutoff. Well apparently I've lost my unlimited plan and I currently don't even have a data plan according to ATT's website. What are the chances ATT refunds the data charges and gives me my unlimited back.

Call them, especially if you've been a customer that long. My plan didnt switch over correctly when the first iPhone came out and I ended up with ~$350 in data charges on my phone. I called CS and explained what happened and they refunded it, I'm sure this situation will qualify.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Changes to the overall plan should not not affect data on an individual line, unless whichever parent's line you're still a part of decided "Screw it, I'll go with share everything," in which case the CSR might have removed it from your line.

RKilbane20

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
So I got some more details. They refunded my 200 bucks saying it was a "computer error". I still have no data and they dont know why. I'm on a 3GB plan now apparently. When we split the accounts my brother made sure I would not lose my data if I stayed on the original account and not the new one. Well those morons at ATT switched me to the new one which canceled out my unlimited plan. So now I'm gonna have to be on the phone for god knows how long to get this crap figured out.

PS. I knew about the divorce, I'm currently a junior in college so didn't know plans were changing which is something I should of been told.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010

Haha I read it wrong too. I could have sworn the other.

But anyway the best thing to do is go to AT&T online chat help and they can tell you what they can do.

The best part is that if you get a butt you can just exit out of the chat, re enter, and have a new AT&T person who might be more helpful.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
So I got some more details. They refunded my 200 bucks saying it was a "computer error". I still have no data and they dont know why. I'm on a 3GB plan now apparently. When we split the accounts my brother made sure I would not lose my data if I stayed on the original account and not the new one. Well those morons at ATT switched me to the new one which canceled out my unlimited plan. So now I'm gonna have to be on the phone for god knows how long to get this crap figured out.

PS. I knew about the divorce, I'm currently a junior in college so didn't know plans were changing which is something I should of been told.

They probably have no idea what unlimited data and grandfathered plans are. Might have had a little more on their minds with the divorce and all so don't be so hard on them. Unless of course they divorced because of something you did.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Call them, especially if you've been a customer that long. My plan didnt switch over correctly when the first iPhone came out and I ended up with ~$350 in data charges on my phone. I called CS and explained what happened and they refunded it, I'm sure this situation will qualify.

Agreed. Call them and I believe they will refund the charges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.