Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T will raise the price of its grandfathered unlimited data plans from $30 to $35 in February of 2016, reports CNBC. The upcoming rate change is detailed on a page on AT&T's website and is the first price hike the unlimited plan has seen in seven years.

Though AT&T no longer offers unlimited data plans to customers, a small number of customers continue to hold unlimited data plans that were purchased before AT&T discontinued them in 2010. AT&T's current $30 unlimited data plan allows customers to use an unlimited amount of data, but AT&T does throttle with excessive data usage.

page_att.jpg

As of February 16, the $30 price tag, which is in addition to voice costs, will rise to $35. The price hike comes just a couple of months after AT&T announced changes to its throttling practices. AT&T previously throttled customers on congested networks after 5GB of LTE data usage, but that cap was increased to 22GB in September, making unlimited plans more valuable.

AT&T plans to notify customers who will be impacted by the price increase. Customers who wish to cancel their wireless service because of the pricing increase will have early termination fees waived for affected lines. Price changes will take effect during each customer's February billing period.

Article Link: AT&T to Raise Price of Grandfathered Unlimited Plans From $30 to $35

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
not too bad, at least it's not $20 hike as Verizon.
True, but unlike Verizon it applies to those currently on contract. I guess Verizon had so few still left on contract (mostly through the iPhone 6 "glitch" this time last year) that it didn't matter. I re-upped my contract in October after Verizon's move thinking AT&T would wait until the contracts were up. In any case, I'm not about to cancel. The $120 (or $90 after my FAN) over 2 years isn't worth losing unlimited data just yet.

It's only the beginning.

True, but for now it's still a better deal than what I can get currently from others.

The timing is interesting. Sprint just ended their "cut your bill in half" promotion and replaced it with a less generous version (the savings are now guaranteed only until February 2018). Verizon just announced a price increase. So did T-Mobile. Eventually Verizon and AT&T will price us out and onto tiered plans, perhaps when 5G rolls out.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Exhibit A.

If this was the only thing they did your post would have some merit. AT&T has raised rates on every plan, trying to get people to join family plans that are more expensive, charging more for data, not honoring their contracts etc. But yeah, go head and complain about Murica because you think telecom monopolies are awesome. Meanwhile cool aid drinkers like yourself who bend over and take whatever they give you are the real problem.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
So will AT&T finally allow tethering and other functions with their "unlimited" data? I'm glad I gave mine up for the Shared plans. I'm saving $30 a month and have more data than I need.

It still amazes me that the telecoms at first couldn't see that increased data usage was where mobile devices were heading. When the iPhone came out, they were still assuming that consumers would use them primarily as phones. Apple knew otherwise.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I figured they would have at least gone up $10! I love how they will let people that don't want to pay the extra $5 out of their contract with no ETF. You'll have some idiots though that will complain over the $5.

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001

guerro

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Parts Unknown
Does anyone still use ATT? I a a physician, need to be connected everywhere. I switched to T-mobile and have not looked back. I had ATT form 1999 - 2014. Particularly happy to no longer getting a big surprise roaming crap form overseas travel Never could get ATT to give me an honest answer about coverage, and bogus plans.

I still use it and still have unlimited data. $5 bucks is not that big of an increase. For now. I had no issues using ATT while in Costa Rica. I am not sure where your hearburn with ATT originates.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
If this was the only thing they did your post would have some merit. AT&T has raised rates on every plan, trying to get people to join family plans that are more expensive, charging more for data, not honoring their contracts etc. But yeah, go head and complain about Murica because you think telecom monopolies are awesome. Meanwhile cool aid drinkers like yourself who bend over and take whatever they give you are the real problem.

Where is the monopoly?

Don't like ATT's prices? Don't pay for it. I don't. My iPhone service bill is $35 a month.

LFMNX

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
I used to have and all you could eat data plan w/ T-Mobile when carried the handspring treo. I kept it for years and years hoping I could eventually have a device that could use data. iPhone never never came, finally I got a jailbroken iPhone 3gs. Then T-Mobile raised the minute call rate from I think 5 cents to 30 cents. I complained and they said calls were not part of the plan and since you had no minutes everything is an overage. So I walked.

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.