Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patdt13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
So I set up my grandparents wifi last night. But, one problem, I can't connect to it. my grandparents can connect to their laptop but i cant. any help or suggestions

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
It's a AT T router, the 2wire thing, and the can connect wireless, but i cant, i have a MacBook Pro

Can you explain further how you set it up? Is it broadcasting the ID? Does it have a password set? Is it using MAC filtering? Are you trying to connect to it from the same location?

Patdt13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
Can you explain further how you set it up? Is it broadcasting the ID? Does it have a password set? Is it using MAC filtering? Are you trying to connect to it from the same location?

Hmm. well im not the most tech savy person, but i'll try to explain.

The signal come on and i can select it. It's 4 bars so i think thats full strength. But it says i cant connect. then like after a minute the error connection message comes up. then it says it cant find the ip address. I have the password, and i have no idea what you mean by Mac filtering. and yes its from the same location as my grandparents.

jpyc7

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Have you tried it when your GP laptop is turned off? Maybe there's some setting limiting the connection to just one computer. Just a thought.

Patdt13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
Have you tried it when your GP laptop is turned off? Maybe there's some setting limiting the connection to just one computer. Just a thought.

hmm, maybe i try, anyway to shut that setting off?

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
This is an issue with the 2Wire modems from ATT and Apple Laptops for some reason. Once you do get it up and running, it will go out intermittently throughout your time surfing the web...goes out for a minute or two, showing full signal, then comes back online. Very frustrating.

I am about to attempt to connect a 3rd party router to mine and use the wireless from that router.

There are several discussions on this over at Apple Discussions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.