attachements in OSX mail program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nwrealestate, Nov 18, 2006.

1. nwrealestate macrumors newbie

I need to know how you can stop attachments received from appearing "in with" the actual text protion of my email text received. Does anyone know how to do this?

2. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

Unckecking that box, see picture, within the mail preferences prevents mail from display images that are not on your hard drive (i.e. links)

Attached Files:

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

only option I've found is to block html attatchments from opening in mail prefs. I second your question...:)

4. nwrealestate thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, so just to clarifify

They will still be there, and there is where? You say there not on my hardrive but a link residing? When I click on my attachments triangle I will have them there? Correct?

5. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

Well, I don't know how to prevent mail from showing you attachments that someone has included in the mail itself. Sorry :(

But sometimes you recieve emails that included links to something on the web (like a picture), unchecking that box will prevent mail from loading the image in your browser, nothing more.

When there is something that hasn't been loaded you get a blue bar at the top of mail telling you so... see below

Attached Files:

6. nwrealestate thread starter macrumors newbie

To clarify, I do want to receive the attachments that are sent. I just do not want them to appear right in with the email message itself. That way when I want to combine several text messages together to print out I won't be combining/printing the attachment photos just the text portion of the image.
    I will collect the attachments and put them in a separate folder containing just attachments/photos

7. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

I know what you want to do, but I dont know how to do it or if its even possible. Sorry.

8. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You can control-click on the attachment and select "view as icon." Unfortunately Apple doesn't give you the option to make this the default behavior. I did read somewhere that there's a freeware tool for doing this, however.

10. nwrealestate thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for this info, it's more than I could do before. Will try to search for a freeware program but would be a little hesitant to download and try as it seems there are always enough little problems to deal.
    Your suggestion really helps though and without a default option (odd). So nice to have everyone's help on this issue - You's are great! Thanks again

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Send feedback to Apple requesting this feature. I have already, the more people that request it the more likely we will see it. However I am confident it will already be part of Leopards Mail.app

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Here it is...

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25945

Apparently it works, but it's not free -- it's shareware costing $6.00. I'm also hopeful that Apple will hear the complaints and integrate this obviously useful feature into a future version of Mail, but we've thought such things before and been disappointed.