Attaching iMac speakers to iBook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wingman, Feb 20, 2004.

1. wingman macrumors newbie

I have to go out of town next week to help my local volunteer organization give a presentation to another volunteer organization. I may be using
    Powerpoint or Keynote on our iBook (dual USB, G3 500 MHz) for a slideshow to be created this weekend. The host organization will be providing an XGA projector.

The interesting possibility came up of using iMovie (or maybe even Final Cut) to import some video footage for demonstration purposes. If we did this, we could play it on the iBook. The question came up about sound for the video. How could people hear the sound while they watch the projected
    video? I think I came up with the answer: remove the external spherical speakers from our new iMac 17" model, plug them into the iBook, and play the
    sound through those speakers during the presentation.

Will the iBook be able to handle the iMac's speakers?

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Unfortunately, you cant plug the iMac's pro speakers into the iBook. But, there is an adapter that you can get that will let you do so. I beleive it is the Fire (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/ifire/) that will let you hook up your speker.

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

You can't use the Apple Pro Speakers with the iBook. They use a special, amplified jack. You can't use them with a normal headphone or line-out jack. You need a Mac with the Apple speaker mini-jack to use them (like the one on the back of your iMac).

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Beat me to the punch latergator116! :p

Actually, the iMic is not what would let you use the Pro Speakers. You'd need to pick up the Powerwave, but it would probably be cheaper to just buy new speakers for the iBook.

5. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

That would probably work too, but it might be overkill (it is also a little expensive). I edited my first post and there is a link to the iFire... that looks like it might work.

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I think the iFire is your only option, the jack is a special jack. The imic works with standard jacks ... ifire is the way to go

7. wingman thread starter macrumors newbie

Solution found!

It appears I was neglecting to use a solution I already had on hand: my family purchased a kind of belated Christmas gift for me to use with my iPod.

They bought a bargain-basement set of multimedia powered speakers.The setup is a Kinyo Audio Zone 2.1 (Model SW-600) that you can plug into the headphone jack of any MP3 player (including Apple's iPods) or computer (Mac or PC, via 1/8-inch headphone jack) to produce speaker sound. It's not a Hi-Fi by any means (satellite speakers produce 3 watts apiece, while the central subwoofer unit with plugs into power and the music source produces 10 watts) since its controls are limited to power and volume; no bass, treble or balance. It will still be just the ticket, for both the iPod and the iBook.

Solution found!