Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewMacGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Hi,
Just wondering if any one can help.

I am still loving my imac and have stored all my digital photos in iphoto.

On my PC I could insert photo and be able to see thumbnails so I could see a preview of the photo to attach.

Is there any way of doing this from an email on my mac?

When I insert I go to photos but all I see are eg DC000567.jpg and there is no way to preview the actual photos.

If I go into iphoto and go share(I Think) I can email but it uses my .mac email which I never use but set up when I first got my imac.

So any way of previewing photos to attach-There must be a way as apple seem very good at this kind of thing so its strange this is so hard

Thanks
NMG

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Hi,
Just wondering if any one can help.

I am still loving my imac and have stored all my digital photos in iphoto.

On my PC I could insert photo and be able to see thumbnails so I could see a preview of the photo to attach.

Is there any way of doing this from an email on my mac?

When I insert I go to photos but all I see are eg DC000567.jpg and there is no way to preview the actual photos.

If I go into iphoto and go share(I Think) I can email but it uses my .mac email which I never use but set up when I first got my imac.

So any way of previewing photos to attach-There must be a way as apple seem very good at this kind of thing so its strange this is so hard

Thanks
NMG

If you have iPhoto open you can simply drag any photo from iPhoto into your email message as if it were a folder in the Finder. The same can be done from any Finder window and most photos will show you a preview in Finder if you are using the column view.

I also get a preview if I use the attach button in mail if I use the column view in that file navigator.

You can also select the photos you want in iPhoto and use the Email button on the bottom to mail out the photos in Mail. One nice feature there is that you can resize the photos for Emailing if you want to get the message small and no-one will be printing the photos.

I guess the big question is how do you go about attaching photos? Do you use the column view in the file navigation windows?

ebow

macrumors 6502a
What do you use for email? If it's Gmail, Yahoo Mail, or some other web-based service, you won't be able to drag & drop, nor use iPhoto's email button. If that's the case. . . does column view in the Browse dialog box (the one you get when selecting attachments) show thumbnails when you select a file? I'm not on my Mac now so I can't check that. :eek:

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
What do you use for email? If it's Gmail, Yahoo Mail, or some other web-based service, you won't be able to drag & drop, nor use iPhoto's email button. If that's the case. . . does column view in the Browse dialog box (the one you get when selecting attachments) show thumbnails when you select a file? I'm not on my Mac now so I can't check that. :eek:

It does on my machine using gmail.

I guess the big answer is to use column view for navigating to the photos.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Hi,

BTW, in your Mail app preferences, you can change the default email program to entourage or something else if you use it. Doesn't work for webmail, but you can choose your default email program.

NewMacGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Thankyou for the replies.
I am using Microsoft Entorauge.

I tried the dragging with iphoto open and it worked-trouble is the photos are huge. When I did the share photo (in iphoto) it asks if you want to send a smaller photo which is handy as I don't want my freinds saying I am jamming up their email inbox. Any way to compress the photo as it come sinto an email (sorry another question!)

I also extened the window which comes up when you go insert photo and see there is a photo preview (but only the photo you select with the mouse) in the very last colum (which is hidden unless you drag it big enough to see)

I have to say I think this is one thing PC's do better. There are so many ways to preview photos eg thumbnails and the filmstrip option is brilliant. In my PC if I was to insert a photo I would just go Attach- photo, go to my photo library and then right click view Thumbnails and I could just scroll to the one I wanted. (still wouldn't ask me if I wanted to make the photo smaller for emailing though)

I expect there is a way to do this with my mac. Another thing I have noticed is that a lot of the better and useful options are turned off eg the mighty mouse right click-Why is this???

Also a great option would be to ask if you wanted to make the photo smaller (as it knows it's being inserted into an email) like the share photo option in iphoto (trouble is it only gives the .mac email option and then this annoying keychain window pops up and before you can cancel it it goes then comes again until you are quick enough to close it)

NewMacGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Sorry to reply to my own post.

BUT after readng about this above (Thanks great tip), I was playing with iphoto and at the bottom there is an email icon which opens the default mac email programme. I then went to preferances and set the 'email using' to Entorage and it then allows me to just select a photo in iphoto and, which is great, It then asks me what size I want - then it puts me in my entorage email programm, not the mac email.

So This is better than a PC.-it allows me to reduce the photo size without having to open up aphoto editor

I knew there would be a way but like other things on this great machine its not obvious and you have to set options to make it work.

You still need iphoto open though. The icing on the cake would be a full thumbnail preview and size option FROM my email programme

Appleton

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
Attaching More Than One Photo in an Email

I use Gmail, AOL and Yahoo. I'm having absolutely no luck adding photos to my emails.
If I use the iPhoto mail, how do I attach more than one photo into an email?
Thanks in advance......

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
Simply select the photos you want to send from within the iPhoto app. Click on File>Export. You will be prompted for what size you want to export, select what you want and export to your desktop. Attach to your email from there.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I use Gmail, AOL and Yahoo. I'm having absolutely no luck adding photos to my emails.
If I use the iPhoto mail, how do I attach more than one photo into an email?
Thanks in advance......

Use the "Photo Browser" in the upper right of the new message window. Browse and drag. As many times as you want. Cake.

annettewilliams

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
Trouble attaching photos

I use Yahoo for my mail. I have never used "Mail" on my Mac, nor do I even know how to set up. I have pics loaded in my IPhoto that I want to attach and send in emails. I locate the photo and attach it, but then the screen just sits there. Nothing happens, photo does not get attached. I have tried dragging the photo or album to my desk top and then dragging it into the email (it is a jpg file). That doesn't work either.

I saw somewhere something about needing to "disable" a browser in Yahoo. Which I did in my preferences. This did not help.

Does anyone know how to make this work? Also, how would I set up Mac "Mail"....I have a feeling it would work just fine there. Is there a way to allow everyone to continue to use my Yahoo email address, but make the emails forward to a "Mail" account. Everyone knows my email address in Yahoo and it would be a huge mess if I actually have to change it and give everyone a new one!:confused:

oneofthesedaves

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
Tennessee
I use Yahoo for my mail. I have never used "Mail" on my Mac, nor do I even know how to set up. I have pics loaded in my IPhoto that I want to attach and send in emails. I locate the photo and attach it, but then the screen just sits there. Nothing happens, photo does not get attached. I have tried dragging the photo or album to my desk top and then dragging it into the email (it is a jpg file). That doesn't work either.

I saw somewhere something about needing to "disable" a browser in Yahoo. Which I did in my preferences. This did not help.

Does anyone know how to make this work? Also, how would I set up Mac "Mail"....I have a feeling it would work just fine there. Is there a way to allow everyone to continue to use my Yahoo email address, but make the emails forward to a "Mail" account. Everyone knows my email address in Yahoo and it would be a huge mess if I actually have to change it and give everyone a new one!:confused:

You can use the Mail app to use your Yahoo app thus giving you the ability to drag and drop photos etc. Just open Mail>Preferences>Accounts>click the plus sign and then enter the info for your Yahoo account. You may have to find a help screen within Yahoo to give you all of the info you need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.