Attaching to my wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by belgrade18, Apr 1, 2007.

1. belgrade18 macrumors newbie

Mac newbie here ...

I just bought a Linksys WRT54G wireless broadband router and have hooked it up via ethernet cable to my desktop PC, and it seems to be working fine. When I go on my MacBook, I can find the network, but when I type in the WEP password, nothing happens- I can't get on the Internet. I can't tell if I set up the router wrong or if I am doing something wrong with the MacBook.

There is all of this stuff in the Linksys configuration software about 128 bit connections ... Could this be causing problems? Do I need to download some drivers for my MacBook?

By the way, my MacBook picks up wireless signals and gets me on the 'net in other places, so I know when it's working ...

Thanks, Michael

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

what does your "network status" say?

right now, for trouble shooting, try making a new location, deactivate all ports except airport, and under the airport options de-select any wireless signals but your own.

3. belgrade18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow- Linksys actually got it to work ...

A guy at Linksys got it to work- I'll share what we did to see if it will help anyone else, since it is not intuitive and I haven't found any place on the net that gives this solution ...

We went on the web to: http://192.168.1.1. After putting in my Linksys password we went under Wireless, chose Wireless Security, then selected WEP, 64 bits, and made the passphrase blank, then put in a ten digit number in Key 1. When I went on the MacBook, I had to put in this 10-digit code as the password to log into the network only starting with a $ (if logging in using a PC, you don't need to put the $ in front of the password).

How is anyone supposed to know this? Especially an idiot like me? I hope this helps someone in the future.