Attaching to my wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by belgrade18, Apr 1, 2007.

1. belgrade18 macrumors newbie

Apr 1, 2007
    Mac newbie here ...

I just bought a Linksys WRT54G wireless broadband router and have hooked it up via ethernet cable to my desktop PC, and it seems to be working fine. When I go on my MacBook, I can find the network, but when I type in the WEP password, nothing happens- I can't get on the Internet. I can't tell if I set up the router wrong or if I am doing something wrong with the MacBook.

There is all of this stuff in the Linksys configuration software about 128 bit connections ... Could this be causing problems? Do I need to download some drivers for my MacBook?

By the way, my MacBook picks up wireless signals and gets me on the 'net in other places, so I know when it's working ...

Thanks, Michael
  2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

Mar 8, 2007
    Blue Dot, Red State
    what does your "network status" say?

right now, for trouble shooting, try making a new location, deactivate all ports except airport, and under the airport options de-select any wireless signals but your own.
  3. belgrade18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 1, 2007
    Wow- Linksys actually got it to work ...

A guy at Linksys got it to work- I'll share what we did to see if it will help anyone else, since it is not intuitive and I haven't found any place on the net that gives this solution ...

We went on the web to: After putting in my Linksys password we went under Wireless, chose Wireless Security, then selected WEP, 64 bits, and made the passphrase blank, then put in a ten digit number in Key 1. When I went on the MacBook, I had to put in this 10-digit code as the password to log into the network only starting with a $ (if logging in using a PC, you don't need to put the $ in front of the password).

How is anyone supposed to know this? Especially an idiot like me? I hope this helps someone in the future.