Attack on AARP, Like 'Religious War,' Built on Either/Or Fallacy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Feb 28, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-outlook28feb28,0,2366341.column

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I think this is major miscalculation by the Right. You do not alienate a huge block of involved voters (seniors, iirc, vote and/or are engaged in political matters in a high %).

This is a big opportunity for the Democrats, if they can get their act together and actually make an attempt to define the debate for once, instead of merely responding on the GOP's terms. Could prove to be decisive come 2006 Elections. I hope so.

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The thought that the strategy of trashing the AARP might backfire had crossed my mind as well. A lot will depend on how well the organization communicates this situation to their membership. The fact that the AARP is opposed only to the plan proposed by the White House and not other reforms of Social Security places them in the moderate camp on this issue. Clearly though moderate is not good enough for the slash and burn ideologues in the Republican Party. They run the risk of showing themselves off as being well outside the mainstream -- which of course they are.

4. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

There is the suggestion that the right is going to continue to beat people over the head with this issue until they are tired of it. They will also try to make the Democrats look bad for holding it up, with the hope that the Dems will capitulate so that the brow beating will go away.

The Republicans are confident in their domination of the media, they obviously feel like they are going to be thought to be in the right and can make the Dems out to be obstructionists.

Hopefully the recent overhaul of the DNC will result in more effective responces than what we have been used to from the Democrats.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

AARP needs to IMO amend its charter and open membership to those that will be hurt most by GWB and the RNC with their SS debacle. Is it any surprise that 1950 was used as the cutoff for reduction in SS benefits and the phase in on the Personal SS Accounts?

I was born in 1958. And based on non-White House numbers (from a number of independent sources) I stand to loose under the GWB/RNC plan.

The conservatives better watch out on doing a number on AARP. AARP rolled over on the Medicare bill. Maybe they are counting on those of us that were disgusted with AARPs actions on that bill, not to care and go with who ever else comes along.

Ignorance and apathy are the only allies that the RNC and conservatives have. And too bad for the rest of us, there seems to be too much ignorance and apathy now.