Attacking Iran May Trigger Terrorism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 2, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wash post

what's the proper cowboy catchphrase? "bring it on?" "see you in hell?" i can't wait for this mess.

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'd say duh, but apparently there are people still out there who this isn't obvious to. Wouldn't it be funny if they really were the bad guys BushCo makes them out to be and nobody believed them anymore? Wouldn't it?

What ever happened to that boy who cried wolf?

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not naming any names of course, but there are those here who support nuking Iran as a solution with little or no downside.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

No downside i can see, bomb the crap out of them and cut off the Russians, Putin is still a communist.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Excuse me?

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

:eek:

No downside from nuking Iran huh? I'd be tempted to let you try it just to see how wrong you are, but the cost in lives would not be worth it at all.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Putin is still a commie and pulling back anything thats resembles democracy, China is still ran by the Communist or did we just forget because our factories and Apple are now there?

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I also most want to block you, but the small minded things you say amuse me:eek:

BUt think

We Bomb them, they bomb us, people die? Why? There is no reason to start a war, as we are already losing one war,as in "losing" in iraq, because we are not really gettign much closer to an iraq that would stand with out Allied Troops helping it

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

WMDs are in Iran and they are building the big one with Russia's help. whats stopping us? We know they have had a weapons program for years and the communist are helping.

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

And your point?

The fact that China and Russian are "Communist" is totally irrelevant - as ideologically neither really are anymore - they are just de-facto one party systems.

And what does this have to do with Iran?

One consequence, however, of bombing or otherwise militarily engaging Iran is that it will benefit both China and Russia.

China will benefit strategically as it trades oil contracts in the ME for weapons and/or technology and Russia will benefit by gaining an upper hand in the oil wars in the Caucasus, with Iran weakened distracted.

oh, none of this benefits the US btw.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Or we can do nothing and hope that the Nut running the country doesnt take one of those fancy new missiles they got from Russia and hope they dont mate a bomb again from russian tech and then strike us or Israel or any other allies. Doing nothing is doing nothing.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You've done far too much already.

13. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Why not just bomb the whole continent of Eurasia? It's too unpredictable. It would be safer with just America and Africa. Africa isn't high tech enough yet, and America is close enough to control.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

That helps, what a solution:rolleyes: fact is Russia is giving Iran Nuclear bombs and missiles to carry them. Pay attention.

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

So would we be safer after attacking Iran, DHM?

e

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Funny, I thought it was N Korea and Pakistan that supplied nuclear expertise and missle tech. Often through "grey" channels (ie black/grey markets).

German firms also supply raw hardware components. I'm sure Russia gets in the game too.

Of course, this brings up the question of how to deal with accountability of these actions when they are not necessarily done by the Government or with their explicit approval - but by groups or corporations within their geographical borders.

As to why this is done - it is all for influence and money - regardless of the structure of the host government.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Please tell me you're just being facetious. I don't see how preemptively bombing a country that may or may not have nuclear weapons because of what they did years ago in direct violation of UN law that's just going to piss off our allies and further divided the country as well as helping to create more terrorists while giving our enemies more reason to hate us is a good idea. Wait.

18. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

the doctrine of pre-emption works both ways. by all rights, north korea and iran should nuke us first.

and what will that solve, i wonder.

19. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Attacking Iraq caused more terrorism, but bush and blair, from what I can remember, insist the world is a safer place despite:
    - Iraqi didn't suppose terrorists
    - Iraqi didn't have weapons of mass destruction.
    - terrorists are now in Iraq - they weren't before!

Attacking ANY further countries in the middle east ( accept for Israel, probably ), will cause MORE terrorism.

The article writer is captain obvious.

Communism isn't necessarily a bad thing, its the implementation of communism that makes it bad. Capitalism can be a bad thing too, like like communism.
    Secondly, your method will surely lead to world war 3... kill several billion people.
    If you were trying to be humorous you should add smileys, unless its obvious your joking ( which in this case, it isn't imo ).

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Quite a few people used to think the same thing about Russia itself: better nuke 'em now before they get us.

Too bad we didn't heed those wise words of wisdom.

21. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Great words of wisdom,the moment US missiles were launched it would be all over for Russia and the US,quite probably everyone else as well.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I believe PB was employing "Irony™".:rolleyes:

23. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Well I hope so,but after reading some of the aviation style posts I'm a little freaked out.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Fly-Boy is one of those "rouge males" you were talking about....
    :)

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think we need to calm down here before this thread gets locked too. DHM's solution (nuke 'em) may be extreme, but let's base our replies in logic instead of sarcasm.

I can understand DHM's position, even if I can't agree with his solution. I think comparing Soviet Russia and Iran is a fallacious analogy. Communists were calculating idealogues. They understood the cost/benefit ratio (if you can swallow such a cold description) of a nuclear war. But Islamic fundamentalists don't think that way at all. Nukes in the hands of people who think martyrdom is just peachy-keen is a completely different thing.

I'm not sure what the solution to Iran is. This is a hugely difficult problem, made much worse by the fact that we've squandered any international influence we had under Clinton. Nuking Iran is extreme (and what about not just the political consequences, but the fallout to nearby countries?), but I think something needs to be done. I'm just not brilliant (or Machiavellian?) enough to know what.