Attempted Coup in Pakistan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Ahh ... the stability of our great allies in the "War on Terror." I feel secure, don't you?

Asia Times

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

boy, musharraf sure does seem to have 9 lives...

i'd like a little more info about these "Islamists".

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

He's in a Islamic country for the most part, Its just a matter of time the way I see it before the extremist take it all over. These are the same guys hiding Bin Laden. Kind of scary if you think about those extremist getting a hold of the nukes they have. It is amazing that he is still around, lucky for us all.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

this kind of post illustrates how blind and uninformed someone can be.

that guy has attempts at his life all the time. also he came to power with a coup. it doesnt really even matter. if that leader dies or is kicked out of office, you'll still be able to walk down market street sipping your chai latte and think about how you are smarter than the government. :) ;) :eek:

5. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Thanks for the concern about my eyesight and ignorance, but you miss the point. It is precisely the fact Musharraf constantly has these kind of attempts on his life and from where they come from that has me concerned. It is five years after 9/11 and we are still hearing of ISI officers in bed with Islamic fundamentalists who want to turn our most strategic ally in the Islamic world (and the only one with nuclear weapons) into a new Taliban style regime. Even without a chai latte in hand, I prefer a cappuccino btw, this should make you nervous.

6. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Oh thank God for that. I was getting worried there :rolleyes: .

If you're adverse to people questioning government, you're hanging around in the wrong part of the forum. ;)

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Thank god you're still able to walk down the street thinking about how much smarter you are than anyone else... ;) ;) :eek:

8. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Wasn't Musharraf on the Official US **** List before 9-11 came around and W needed overflight and basing rights?

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well it's pretty save to say that pakistan will be the iraq sooner or later... except this time the US airforce might face american design aircraft and weapons .... and nucular weapons of course

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Yes, but the cycles of the US relationship with Pakistan are nothing new. We have gone through numerous cycles of closely allying with them for some particular purpose: encirclement of the USSR's southern border in the 50s, "openning China" in the early 1970s... basically the relationship strengthens when Republicans are in office who focus on Pakistan's strategic value, and weakens when Democrats are in office, who focus on Pakistan's less savory characteristics.

11. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

OK, time for me to lay down some opinion:
    I think it most bold for anyone (on this board, at least) to claim to actually know what the hell is going on in Pakistan, or anywhere outside their immediate surroundings for that matter. For instance, the comment that they (Pakiststan?) are hiding Bin Laden (wtf? Do you actually believe FOX News?) is, to me, hilarious in a sad way. In world affairs, there are wheels within wheels within wheels....and so on. I imagine that even supposed insiders like Rumsfeld and Cheney are only slightly better informed as to what is happening than the average person, if only because the interests they serve are ultimately responsible for 80 to 90% of the terror in the world. (in my opinion)
    Who supports Muusharraf? Who backs the coup plotters? Was there really a coup attempt? If there was, were actual events reported?Do you know? I sure the hell don't. But, would anyone carry a plan to stage a coup so far if they didn't think they had the at least tacit approval and support of the dominant power(s) in the region: the "USA" (the State Dept., the White House, the Pentagon...?), the international bankers, "Big Oil", the CIA, the...? Who really knows? There are also numerous regional powers that factor into the equation. More than that, there are even deeper, in my opinion, historical and other forces that drive events far beyond the politics, money and dogma that preoccupy the generally shallow discussion on these topics. They concern the ongoing, long-term evolution of humanity and its place in the cosmos--not something that regularly comes up CNN.
    One thing, though, that you can bank on is that what you see or hear about world affairs on the conventional news is just what these media and their controllers want you to see and hear.
    May wisdom come upon us all, eventually.

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

"the ongoing, long-term evolution of humanity and its place in the cosmos"

Wow. And you think we should be wary of commenting on contemporary world politics because we don't know much beyond our immediate surroundings.

Please. Enlighten us.

13. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

No, please don't. I'm not sure if I can take it. My eyes are bleeding now. :eek:

14. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

it was a convenient duck-blind for observation of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan as well, which may explain why the former Muj-supporters in Pakistan have (allegedly) been sheltering Bin Laden.

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Right. Man. My brain wasn't working to well today. I couldn't remember the reason for the Reagan era reshift (actually I guess that began with Carter).

16. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

eh...I can't believe I remembered it either :p