Attempted kidnapping in my little town

Discussion in 'Community' started by EJBasile, May 15, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I read in the Hartford Courant how a 10 year girl could have been possibly abducted. Thank god she was smart enough to run away. This is very odd because nothing really ever happens in this town.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/fv/hc-copbrf0515.artmay15,0,1351106.story

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's a good thing! I was walking home from a night out pretty late the other day and some guy got shot through the arm by a crossbow. :(

How retro!

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm just glad the child had enough sense to run away. I sincerely hope that the couple get caught, people like that are scum. It always sickens me to read things like this.

4. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

ia gree, but arent we reading between the lines a bit? it's not like they forced the kid to get into the car or anything. perhaps they were asking for directions? (ok, maybe a little far fetched). but still, it wouldnt surprise me if there's a reasonable explanation for this..

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    thank god she ran away would have to read another story about a child being found dead and assaulted

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Might be jumping the gun a little bit but it would surprise me if there was a reasonable explanation.

7. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

Thank God the child is safe. I just don't understand what is driving these people. :confused: More important, how can we protect ourselfs against them?

8. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Whatever happened to 911?

If I was that little girl I would have spent 10 minutes trying to remember the number.

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

This is different - this is the hotline number for tips on this case, not the emergency number if you need help.

But I do have to imagine it's not above-board. If they needed directions or something they would have (should have) asked the girl to get her parents. Plus, wouldn't they just call the police and explain the misunderstanding?

10. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I would say its unlikely they were asking for directions. Almost all the houses in North Granby where I live are spread apart and set back from the road. Unless the girl was walking down the road it would be pretty unlikely that she would be asked for directions. There are no sidewalks and it is somewhat rural up here so I don't know why a 10 year old girl would be going for a walk without her parents.