Attempting to install 10.4.. loading screen freezes..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lieb39, Apr 26, 2006.

1. lieb39 macrumors 6502

lieb39

Hello everyone,

I have a Powerbook G4, 1.5GB of Ram, 80GB Hard drive, the last revision of the 15" before the MacBook Pro. Anyways, I want to reinstall Tiger because my current versions is throwing up bugs everywhere, most likely due to my rough handling of system files. I'm not here to troubleshoot that, but this issue.

I put in my Tiger DVD, no worries, restart and it ALWAYS crashes on the Loading screen for the setup. The swirly thing just stops, and that's the end of that. It's extremely annoying. I can't install unless I get by the screen. I have no idea why it's doing this, it can't be the media.. just for kicks I tried my friend's Tiger DVD and it failed too. Why is this happening?

Thanks,

lieb39

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If your friend's Tiger disks were from a different machine then they wouldn't work, even if your machine was fine. From the sounds of things, you have a hardware fault. As a start, I'd take out RAM chip(s) to see if there's a bad one in there. Start with the third party RAM, if applicable. :)

3. lieb39 thread starter macrumors 6502

lieb39

How can I check if the RAM is faulty without removing it?

Thanks,

lieb39

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Your machine will have come with a Hardware Test. This will either be on the first install disc or on a separate CD. If there is no separate disc, then hold D instead of C when starting up from your first OSX disc. However, this test only occasionally picks up on bad RAM. Unfortunately, removing the RAM is really the only sure-fire way to test for bad RAM. :eek:

5. lieb39 thread starter macrumors 6502

lieb39

Took out the RAM, one slot at a time and still froze. Other ideas?

-lieb39

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You have an external drive in your signature. Could you boot from that? :)

7. lieb39 thread starter macrumors 6502

lieb39

I'm trying to install Mac OS X onto that drive. I suspect a failing hard drive, which may account for my recent issues with my mac. Just lots of little things not working, spotlight being glitchy, spelling on all applications aren't working.. and numerous other problems.

Helpppp

-lieb39

8. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I would run repair permissions and repair disk in Disk Utility. Repair disk can only be run by booting from the CD or another drive/computer. Since you can't boot your PC I would suggest connecting it to your friend's PC and booting yours in Target Disk mode and running repair disk off his machine.

9. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Could be a corrupt HD or too much crap (OS hacks) installed.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've been reading this to mean that you get crashes, even when booted from the OSX discs, is that true? That's why I haven't thought it was a hard drive issue thus far.

Nevertheless, if it is a hard drive issue, then you should be able to install OSX onto the external with no problems. Have you done this? :)