Attending MWSF Keynote?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by arn, Dec 29, 2005.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

If anyone is attending the MWSF Keynote address, please drop me a note:

you can email webmaster@macrumors.com

thanks
    arn

2. Linam macrumors regular

3. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Even if someone was, it will probably be extremely hard to get any information out during the keynote - they usually pick places where you can't get any recepetion to send information/phone calls.

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

MacRumors and lots of the other macsites typically manage to get us live feeds.

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

They do, but I do know Apple is very careful with picking the sources so they no data can be transmitted during the keynote. But hey, if all goes well, someone will be there from MacRumors and will try to give us a live feed. Hopefully they can. :)

6. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I'm going to MWSF and am hoping to get into the keynote speech -- I'm suspecting that the line will be VERY long outside the door hours before the actual presentation -- and at this point that's all I can say. I have never been to one of these things before and although I'll have my PB with me I doubt that I'll be able to fire it up and transmit anything to the outside world....

OTB

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'm going, but last time I attended a keynote I didn't have cell reception or internet access.

8. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Another Apple event with server bandwidth issues on MR. I love the frustration. ;) :)

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Were there bandwidth issues during the last event? ;)

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'd be happy to do it, but I suspect I'll be in the big room in the basement of the Moscone Center watching the keynote on TVs again this year, along with most of the rest of the media. No cell service down there I don't think. IDG is making this stuff more difficult.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Could someone please explain to me what the purpose of all this tight news management is? I'm genuinely curious.

After all, the news and press releases are released within minutes of the keynote's finishing isn't it? In the scheme of things, what difference does it make whether that information comes out then or is trickled out over the duration of the keynote?

Or is it about giving accredited journalists a fair shake of the stick?
    If the answer is obvious, then it's eluding me in my slightly hungover state.

12. Linam macrumors regular

13. maya macrumors 68040

maya

That would be a, Yes. ;)

14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Meh. Exclusivity generates hype, it's a way to get the A list interested.

Press embargoes are also hoped to increase reporting accuracy by forcing all parties to have all the facts in hand before opening their mouths. Sometimes this even works :) Example: it would take a lot of steam out of the Apple hype machine if a major publication went with all the boring stuff announced before the "one more thing" moment.

Oh, did I mention hype? I think that Apple like to hype things, just a wee bit.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In part I blame IDG, who after all runs this event, not Apple. Their treatment of the media has been kind of shabby in the past. I can appreciate Apple's secrecy about their new products, but that's not what it's really all about I don't believe. The fact is, while MW is a media event, the media are really just barely tolerated IMO.

As for cell phone service during the keynote, I can appreciate the limitations on this too. It probably has nothing really to do with reporting as much as it does with eliminating the distraction of phones ringing constantly during the event. Still, I think it has been possible in the past to get cell service in the keynote hall if you had the right provider.

But with all the renewed interest in Apple, only the "A list" media gets into the keynote hall, and rest of us rabble gets shoved into room in the bowels of the Moscone Center, where last year many media people used to sitting at the front of the hall, groused to each other and sniped at Steve as he talked. Maybe it will be different this year, but I doubt it. This kind of thing subtly affects what people write. I know it did me.

The irony of course is that we who are now relegated to the dungeon were the very same media people who attended MWSF when the "A list" mainstream media people were ignoring Apple or even gleefully predicting its demise. The way I look at it, those are the people now being shown the front row and encouraged to hobnob with Steve after the keynote. Meanwhile, those of us who were covering the event during the dark days of the late '90s, when hardly anybody else cared about Apple, are parking our backsides in the basement.

But again, I mainly blame IDG for this. I hope they got an earful from the media last year, and it made a difference. We shall see next week.

16. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

17. ipedro macrumors 68030

ipedro

I'm going.

I paid to watch the keynote, I really hope I'm not put in some basement!

It's my first keynote, can somebody explain how this works? I don't mind coming very early (say 6am) just as long as I'm guaranteed a seat inside the auditorium.

Oh... where in the Moscone Center is the keynote held? Again, it's my first time in San Francisco, let alone the Moscone Center, so I'd love to know where I need to be and at what time before I actually get there.