Attention All 12" Powerbook owners!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by steeleclipse, Jun 16, 2003.

1. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2002
    A friend of mine has just purchased the 12" powerbook with an airport extreme card, however doesnt have the money for an airport extreme base station, so he just wants to go with a generic wireless "g" router.

I have heard there has been a lot of problems with attempting to connect an airport extreme card to regular wireless "g" routers, especially in "g" mode. Can anybody tell me what they use in place of the airport extreme base station for their airport extreme card?

Please tell me about things you have actually seen work, as opposed to things that should work in theory

:D thanks
  2. RiseAgainst macrumors regular

Jun 10, 2003
    Well im using a Linksys Wireless G router with the built in airport extreme card on my 17" PB with no problems.
  3. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    This may be a problem now, since IEEE 802.11g was not exactly a standard until a couple of weeks ago. Since they've finalized it, and have a full standard now, I'm sure firmware revisions in Airport and other 802.11g products will be available soon, so that they can all work together properly, since everything released that used 802.11g before the standard was set, were based on a draft version. This could be the cause of some of the problems you've heard about.

Assuming the access point uses the standard 802.11g protocol, it should work fine with the 12" PowerBook...
  4. nospleen macrumors 68000

Dec 8, 2002
    Re: Attention All 12" Powerbook owners!

If he has another mac, he can just get an airport extreme card for it and make it the base station.