Attention all marksmen!

Discussion in 'Community' started by dcentity2000, Dec 14, 2004.

1. dcentity2000 macrumors member

Mar 8, 2004
    If you are aged between and including 13 / 19 years old and shoot .22 rifles at 25yrd range, come on over here because I'm organising a little competition! I'll send you a few targets to shoot (should take about 15 minutes to shoot them all?) and then you mail them back tom me (nothing else); whoever gets the highest score wins the Fox Trophy Second and Third places get medals and there's no entry fee or requirements

Here's the kicker: for every entrant I'll personally pledge one pound (about USA$2) to the NSPCC (National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children) up to the maximum that I can reasonably afford (at LEAST £200 / USA$400 approx). It's kinda a goodwill Christmassy thing myself and a few friends are doing

Already got guys over here in the UK on board and this will take place February next year. Join us on the forums (VERY new) which appear to boast a rip off of the Tag Fairy who needs a good shave...

Look forward to hearing from you all!

2. oldschool macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2003
    how do you know the people are shooting from 25 yards? how do you know that they aren't standing five feet away? can you somehow tell?

what about the difference between 25 yards and 15 yards. that would be an advantage and you might not be able to see gun powder on the target.

also couldn't somebody just punch some holes with the tip of a pencil?

i'm confused.
  3. dobbin macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2002
    I used to shoot .22 when I was a cadet. I don't shoot at all anymore.

I'm not sure if being closer or using a pencil (!) would fool the judges, but using a telescopic sight and possibly putting the rifle on someting like a sandbag to support it would mean that I could get almost perfect grouping. Well maybe not anymore but I could have done 10 years ago :D

Using just normal eyesight and holding the rifle (prone), I used to get half inch grouping, so with some cheating I'm sure it would be hard to distinguish between the best marksmen at 25 yards.

However, I hope people are honest and take part in a fair way. And well done to dcentity2000 for pledging to support NSPCC.

I hope it all goes well.
  4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England

Can I chuck 'em in the air and have at them with a 12-gauge??? :eek:

OK.... just a thought.

NSPCC is my charity anyway, it's good to give. :D