Attention Cyclists: Krypronite U-Locks compromised by Bic Pen.

Discussion in 'Community' started by medea, Sep 14, 2004.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

All the info is here http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=66128&page=1&pp=25 so I won't retype it all.
    So far the method has worked with at least the EV 2000, mini EV 2000 and NY EV.
    If you have a lock that is mentioned in the thread as being compromised you should contact Kryptonite immediately.
    This may also work with other cylinder locks.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Perhaps of interest to Mac owners is that the same technique is effective with Kensington locks.

3. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

really, you've seen this done to kensington locks? which ones?

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yep, i'm gonna go steal me some bikes now. and maybe a powerbook if this kensington business is true :)

reminds me of popping indoor-locks with bent paperclips... freaks people out when they think they've locked it. of course, those aren't meant for the same kind of security that these are...

paul

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Well that explains how my roommate's bike got stolen at school. The lock was still on the bike rack, which seemed to just mock more than anything after the fact that the bike was gone.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The Microsaver cable locks will definitely succumb. Lots of donut locks can be defeated that way.

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yeah, and those guarantees generally want you to produce a broken lock, so you have to mangle it yourself :rolleyes:

One tip for people who want to depend on those guarantees is to buy a second lock. If the item is lifted and the lock goes with it, mangle the spare lock and use that one for the claim.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

u-locks have been known to be worthless for years.

if you need a lock, this one hasn't let me down yet.

right here :D

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

holy crap, i just did this to my kensington microsaver, the lock is off as we speak ..... this scares me a whole bunch , but it might be funny to switch my friends ulocks with each other hehe ....

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wait, I have a Kensington. I thought we were talking about U-Locks for bikes (ie: the solid locks that are shaped like the letter U, not cable locks)??

I have a Kensington. I thought you needed to turn a cylindrical key to get it open? I keep sticking the end of my pen into the hole, but how am I supposed to "twist" and unlock it? Trust me, I'm trying. I'd like to break my lock as well, just so that I know the limitations of the lock. :eek:

EDIT: Oh, you take the small, flat cap at the "back" of the pen off and jam it into the lock, which then pushes in all 5 pins at once. Then you turn it. All you need is for the circumference of the Bic to be the same as the circumference of the circular key. Its hard to get the back of the pen into the circular cut hole, though, but yeah, I see how you'd do it. :(

12. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

the ulock uses a tubular key, and so does the kensignton lock.

The easiet thing to do is cut off the end of the non pen tip and then basically jam it in there and jiggle it. I was uable to unlock my powerbook's lock.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Unfortunately, I did just manage to get this to work. :(

You need to use the right pen, though. The transparent Bic pens don't work. You need to use a Bic pen with the white body/barrel. Once you have the pen, give yourself 30 seconds.

Funny thing is that Kensington and Kryptonite doesn't cover this under their guarantee, as the lock wasn't "broken" during the robbery. :rolleyes:

I always new this was possible with a Bic, but I really didn't think it was one of those things that anyone could do. Now that even I can do it, any idiot can do it.

14. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

actually many combo locks are easy to break into, pull the lock mechanism out while turning the numbers and you should be able to feel it when it reaches the right one. It's not easy but the people that want your bike probably can do it. Best thing is to have two separate kinds of locks on your bike as thieves will probably only have the tool for one kind of lock on them and if they have more it will take them more time to break both.

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Not all of us need, or want, to carry a 10lb lock :rolleyes:

Of course, my bike is in the garage when I'm not riding it.. (or upside down and covered when camping, with the front wheel inside my tent)

16. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Man I have been using a crowbar this whole time... Why did I just find out about this?!

17. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

If my bike is anywhere that I'm particularly worried, I generally use two locks: A u-lock and a cable/combination lock.

They take different methods to compromise, so the odds of someone doing both are greatly reduced.

18. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

guess it depends how bad you wanna keep your bike. u locks are very easy to snap, cable locks even more so. cable cutters and steel cutters fit around those two types of locks perfectly.

i understand your point about the 10lbs of lock, and to be honest, i bet it weights more like 20, but for the security its worth it

19. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well this settles things...

Bic pens (the white-bodied ones) and Duct tape rank up there as the top inventions of mankind...so versatile and useful...

20. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

You don't mind turning your 20 or less pound bike into a 40 pounder?
    If it got to that point I'd pick up a beater for the times I needed to leave the bike and for use my normal bike for when I'm just going to be riding or at least not leaving the bike out of my sight.
    Actually if I got that worried I'd probably start removing my saddle, removing the tires, and then locking the bike up. Sad thing is if a thief wants your bike enough he's going to get it as all systems can be compromised. It just sucks that these U-locks can be compromised so easily that anyone can steal your bike with a friggin bic.

21. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

nope. i would mind much more not riding the bike i love because of idiot theives. its good exercise anyway. also, couriers deal with it, so i can too...

unless they cut through my frame and wheels, they aren't getting through that lock. i've tried to cut it with bolt cutters. no dice. kryptonite insures that lock for like $3000 or so dollars. it's worth it to me to use it.

22. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I remember a couple of years ago Bicycling magazine did an article on bike locks, where they got a professional bike thief to actually try to break through the locks. He got through every single one in less than 2 minutes, except yours which stymied him.

Good choice :D

Fortunately I work in a company where I can put my bike beside my desk, so I don't have to worry about locks. If my bike was going to be outside downtown for any period of time, I would definitely have one of those

Although I still stand by my earlier comment; if you're really worried use two different kinds of locks. They require different attack vectors and different tools and most thieves don't carry both kinds; remember if someone really wants your (bike|car|stereo|computer) they will take it. The purpose of locks and alarms is to make it hard enough to steal that they just go for the next one over.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Methods? You only need a bic and a cable cutter. Most bike thieves would carry a cutter of some sort anyway, so I don't think that the inconvenience of a thief to bring a Bic along would be much of a deterrent. If using a Bic took an additional minute, then that's different. But it sounds like you can break through a lock using a Bic in less than 10 seconds if you practice and become good, so that's just an additional 10 seconds or less.

If you have a nice bike, I think its probably best to remove a tire.

24. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I have this mental picture of vigilante bike owners waiting by racks with crowbars, waiting to smack anyone who tries to take one.

25. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

Wow that sucks... Thank god i have the old master lock and chain for my bike...