Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I work on a woodworking shop and never had a problem with dust but in the lightening port or headphone jack.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
And my replacement screen (screen replaced by Apple for this issue - not the whole phone) in my 6s Plus is now having the same issue. Dust is getting in at the top left. *sigh*

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
And my replacement screen (screen replaced by Apple for this issue - not the whole phone) in my 6s Plus is now having the same issue. Dust is getting in at the top left. *sigh*

how long did it take to show up in the upper left?

Going to try a full phone replacement?

IMM1711

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2016
Madrid
I just came from an apple store here in Madrid and long story short, I had an iPhone bought on january that had the screen replaced 4 times and after that they gave me a replacement phone that had the screen replaced once, and now I am having the dust problem with this iPhone but they refused to change the screen/phone because they say that it is not so much and I can still use the phone without a problem, so here I am, with a phone with dust under the screen(said by Apple genius) and no further solution.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I just came from an apple store here in Madrid and long story short, I had an iPhone bought on january that had the screen replaced 4 times and after that they gave me a replacement phone that had the screen replaced once, and now I am having the dust problem with this iPhone but they refused to change the screen/phone because they say that it is not so much and I can still use the phone without a problem, so here I am, with a phone with dust under the screen(said by Apple genius) and no further solution.

That's crazy!
[doublepost=1459375152][/doublepost]

^ ^ Screen replaced February 20. Will probably just wait this out for a while since the dust incursion isn't TERRIBLE (yet).

Dang, if memory serves me right, I started seeing dust accumulate after about a month as well. But didnt do the swap game any further once the 9.0.2 window closed for fear of not having jailbreak

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Stinks :(

Yeah mines pretty caked in upper left,

I can't do Genius Bar swap though and it would make me fear having other issues on top of it
This was my third around launch, first two had yellow blobs that developed and might have gotten caked in dust too (didn't have them long enough to know)

never seen an iPhone with such a dust issue, this is wild

I think I'll just deal with it

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2014
Stinks :(

Yeah mines pretty caked in upper left,

I can't do Genius Bar swap though and it would make me fear having other issues on top of it
This was my third around launch, first two had yellow blobs that developed and might have gotten caked in dust too (didn't have them long enough to know)

never seen an iPhone with such a dust issue, this is wild

I think I'll just deal with it

Did you ever get a replacement or the screen replaced? I'm hoping the issue has been solved recently due to the lack of posts about it. Might be worth taking mine in?

Reactions: r3m1

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah I mean if you don't mind rolling the dice, let us know!

I can't because I'm jailbroken on 9.0.2, and completely unwilling to forego that,

But also have like PTSD of Genius Bar

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
would be good to get some pictures just to see how bad it can actually get. I have one speck that has worked its way in (top left) but its so tiny i cant get a picture of it!

Ugi

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2016
Nope, Had iPhones from October to December and each had problems with their displays. Got a full refund and switched to android.

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2014
Nope, Had iPhones from October to December and each had problems with their displays. Got a full refund and switched to android.

I've also been through 2 already with it. I'm hoping the issue may have been solved by now, but will they refund if you're out of the 2 week period?

Ugi

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2016
I had like 12 iPhones most of them were sealed. Received them from Apple because I couldn't be spect such a poor quality. The managers took care of my cases and finally granted me a full refund in April. I had bought the 6s in December from EBay new and sealed

xsdeus

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
I would question the ability of someone to see dust particles between the LCD and in front of the backlight... It seems that you'd have to be talking about sugar crystal sized chunks, not dust. And how chunks that size can get into the phone that seemingly has better water-proofing than previous generations, I have no idea.

But I'm not an LCD display engineer... And again, I'm not saying that people aren't seeing poor quality displays. I think it's more likely that some pixels themselves are causing the issue (being grey instead of white, or something). But I can't see any on my phone, so I'm not going to fret about it too much.

C

Well, I am.

If there is dust between the backlight unit and the LCD panel, it will show only when the screen is turned on. It will NOT be visible when the screen is turned off. Also, as it's behind the color filter (since the "dust" is before the LCD, it will not have a color, and be black or an another shade of gray.
[doublepost=1464503582][/doublepost]
Is simple, has been stated a number of times. It is not dust, it is not entering through silent switch, it is not design flaw. No matter if 1,000 people say it is dust, it's not dust. The screen is sealed, but it appears that some few screens over some weeks or months have some separation or delamination of the layers. This manufacturing error may occur with a small number of screens. These appear as small spots many times reported in upper left of screen. Unfortunately are reported as dust. They are hard to see, and need you to set white screen and look very closely. People have been returning phones and Apple has been replacing them if they show these separation dots. Beyond that, the rest becomes a joke, as does the highly emotional and incorrect title jumping to unsupported conclusions base on no evidence and complete lack of understanding of how screen is made.

Where are your credentials or evidence to back your claims?
[doublepost=1464504178][/doublepost]
Maybe he wants an iPhone?

I don't have a 6S but totally believe the owner.

I went through -6- iPhone 5 models because dust got in the camera lens of every single one (making a massive unsightly dot in all pictures) not only this but at the time I went around to my friends 5's and looked in the camera ALL had dust, even when it was in the corner of the lens and didn't affect pictures my friends were outraged, simply because it shouldn't be happening on a phone that cost that much.

By your logic, a car so expensive as a BMW or a Mercedes should never have any defects because they are exorbitantly priced.

Those cars have more problems per thousand than Toyotas and Hondas, and yet people still adore them.

You can be upset with Apple all you want. The fact is, they have better customer service than any other cellphone manufacturer, and that is a huge factor in how people determine the brand's quality.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Well, I am.

If there is dust between the backlight unit and the LCD panel, it will show only when the screen is turned on. It will NOT be visible when the screen is turned off. Also, as it's behind the color filter (since the "dust" is before the LCD, it will not have a color, and be black or an another shade of gray.
[doublepost=1464503582][/doublepost]

Where are your credentials or evidence to back your claims?
[doublepost=1464504178][/doublepost]
Where is the empirical evidence that the spots under glass are in fact "dust". Anyone tear apart the display layers and collet and analyze any of this "dust"? Last time I checked my phone there was no fan sucking in outside air. Maybe this is special dust that walks on inside. Or maybe it is something else happening with like the adhesive between layers. My speculations are as valid as the next person's speculation sans actual tests.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Where is the empirical evidence that the spots under glass are in fact "dust". Anyone tear apart the display layers and collet and analyze any of this "dust"? Last time I checked my phone there was no fan sucking in outside air. Maybe this is special dust that walks on inside. Or maybe it is something else happening with like the adhesive between layers. My speculations are as valid as the next person's speculation sans actual tests.

It sure looks like dust. My replacement is getting worse and worse..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.