Attention iBook Seekers:

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iMacZealot, Jul 8, 2005.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Attention iBook Seekers:

Buy a PowerBook! It's a much better machine, especially for students. Think about it:

iBook PowerBook
    12 inch 12 inch
    Combo Combo
    1.2 GHz 1.5 GHz
    30 GB HD 60 GB HD
    256 MB RAM 512 MB RAM
    No CoreImage CoreImage Support

Also, it doesn't really look the iBook will get an update:
    1) Apple is overstocked on them
    2) If they updated them, it would have happened by now.

Also, even the update won't be as fast as the PowerBook. The iBook might get up to 1.5 GHz at the most. My sister got a PowerBook for college, and I helped her choose which computer to get. I really think the PowerBook will last her longer than the iBook.

Just my thought.

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

WHat about the fact that students want:

1. A more affordable machine
    2. Not all students need a powerbooks extra Mhz and Graphics card, as the majority want to use an office suite, music and browse the net.
    3. A more durable machine

These are all good reasons why a student would like an iBook over a powerbook and i think they are good enough to justify the wait for the new iBook....

SHadOW ;)

3. asqy macrumors regular

ibook v pbook?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

4. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Not to mention that students don't want to pay much more for extras. Like for a word processing program!! I just discovered that with my Powerbook... no Appleworks and no Pages. Just trials of MS Office and trials of iWork. Luckily, I already had iWork but for those who don't.....

For the money conscious, iBooks are still good. For power... well, you know. :)

5. The_Man macrumors 6502

The_Man

Did you forget how much the Powerbook costs?
    Not to mention a lot of other factors like battery life, wireless range, durability, aesthetics, etc.

But the main thing is price, and for what should be a second computer there is no need for the extra Mhz

I'm very proud of you for getting a Powerbook, I'm sorry i couldnt have thrown you a parade for what you obviously think is such a great decision.

6. gregorydanger macrumors member

Go with what you can afford.

The iBooks are fully capable machines. Besides the fact that the processor speed is lower than the PowerBooks, the default HD is smaller and the video card is less capable, the iBooks themselves are fantastic for what they cost and, in general, get the job done.

Don't think I'm biased, though. I keep forgetting to update my signature -- I have an iMac G5 now. And as much as I'd like to have a PowerBook, spending $2000+ isn't something I'm looking to do.

Just an opinion.

7. rabadash macrumors newbie

For that matter, why not just buy a pc? It does look rather unlikely that the ibooks will get updated before the paris expo, I wish apple would just tell us when the ibooks will be updated, then I might feel better about buying one. I'm sure they've already taken a hit with this extended update cycle. I bet apple actually has an update in mind, if not ready to go, but the sudden intel switch threw off their roadmap. In the meanwhile, I'm looking at my nearly four year old AMD 1800+ machine and thinking about how well it's served me, no thanks to windows. Linux has suited my needs well, and I think I'll stick with it when I go to college. I suspect that had apple released a new ibook back in april like I thought they would, I would have bought one. Now I see that I could never be a mac user If I have to go through stuff like this for an entire platform to be updated, it's just too much stress and too much reliance on one company for my tastes. Regardless, I hope they update the ibook(august-september) sooner than later(january).

8. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Well heres the specs of my ibook (in the post)

1.33Ghz
    1.256MB ram
    80GB hard drive
    Super Drive
    Airport Extreme
    Bluetooth

i dont think that so bad, and heres what ibooks have over powerbooks:
    durable exterior - resistant to surface damage, will not bend or scratch so easily
    better reception - better coverage for bluetooth and airport (less interference)
    loooks like an ipod!
    CHEAPER

9. JonMaker macrumors regular

If we bought PowerBooks, we wouldn't be iBook seekers, now, would we? :rolleyes:

Maybe you should post this to the "New iBooks Next Tuesday?" thread.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Hmmm, guess they just ought to discontinue the iBook since there is obviously no good reason to get one :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof - Dawg
    [​IMG]

11. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

This is like someone asking about the PS3 release date, and you telling him to buy an Xbox 360 because it comes out earlier.

12. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

A .3 GHz jump isn't that big!!

Well, other than the price and the fact that everything that comes standard on a PBook ca be purchased for cheaper on an iBook makes it seem like a couple hundred dollars for that small of a speed bump is rediculous. Maybe if the 12" had the crazy lit keyboard, DVI support, and Firewire 800 it may be worth it. However, all fo Pbooks strenghths are non existent ont eh 12". THe only thing that gets me is the video card. If only they could giv eus 64mb.

13. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

The PS3 is a mighty nice piece of hardware aesthetically and technically. The Xbox 360 just looks like a regular pc with "Dell XPS" styling to make it look cool for Half-Life 2 Geeks (Notice the capital "G").

It's a shame i won't be getting one as college next semester, as I realized that playing Final Fantasy or GTA won't make me money :eek:

Ah well, that's life.

14. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

The 12" PowerBook is 20% more than the iBook when you add the 60 gig HD, Bluetooth and memory (I know you can get cheaper RAM somewhere else. If you did, it would be a larger percentage anyway). I don't think it's worth it considering that the iBook is 8+ months old (PowerBook is 6+ months old).

15. rabadash macrumors newbie

True, but telling someone to buy a powerbook is like telling someone to buy a psx because the ps2 isn't up to par.

16. aviationwiz macrumors regular

I did. HP has a brand new model, the L2000 which looks great for my needs, and is very affordable, unlike anything with the name Apple on it. I'm also eligible for their APP pricing, and I'm not eligible for Apple EDU Discounts (I'm a high school student.)

The fact that their switching over to Intel sure didn't help my decision push me towards Apple either. The lack of updates was what most likely through me over to getting a PC too. Maybe when Apple learns how to compete, I'll buy from them again.

17. wide macrumors 6502a

the 12 inch powerbook comes with 512 MB RAM in 2 slots. that is pointless--most people would want to upgrade from that. a 256 MB RAM upgrade for the ibook (cheaper RAM) costs $75. so that's the minimum Apple would charge for a 256 MB card for the powerbooks. Apple should get rid of that extra RAM in the low end powerbook line and take 100 dollars off the price tag.

as for me, the reason I want an ibook instead of a powerbook is because 1) ibooks are more durable and easier to carry to school 2) the next ibooks will support Core Image (why would apple release any new computers that don't support it? that would just be mean) 3) ibooks, because they are more durable (no dents) and can be cleaned with special iClean products to make it look new again, have higher resale values. this is important for me because i plan on selling my ibook next June so i can buy an intel powerbook.

18. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

You do realize that you are on a MAC forum, talking sh*t on Macs right?!

19. datura macrumors newbie

why didn't i think of that

~*~
    Hey iMacZealot, that's great advice.

Let me know your e-mail so I can tell you were to send me the extra 500 dollars, okay? :)

20. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Sorry everyone about showing my opinion. I didn't know it was such a crime to give my advice. While I could argue this day on out, I have a social life to attend to.

Once again, sorry.

-iMacZealot

21. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

all the things that are on a powerbook should already be on an ibook.

the only reason why the ibook doesn't have any of these features is not because they can't fit them in there, but because apple doesn't want to.

22. Willy S macrumors 6502

I think this is pretty simple.

Apple wants to have to notebook lines and they simply cannot upgrade the powerbooks. Therefore, they cannot upgrade the ibook if they want to keep both lines.

Today, Apple ibooks are 2 years behind PC notebooks so you must be a severe mac fan to buy a ibook over a fancy PC notebook with sleek screen for the same price. It´s simply crazy and Apple must get its act together fast. Jobs teamed up with Intel perhaps 2 years too late...

23. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

You took the words out of my mouth. At least someone here agrees with me!

Hey, I've been re-reading the Bill of Rights, and I thought all of you might want to re-read it, too. They have this interesting thing on freedom of speech! Did you know that we can say whatever we want?? I sure didn't!!!
    ;)

24. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

25. briangig macrumors regular

the one this that is keeping me from picking the ibook is the video card...it is just not good enough..doesnt support core imaging (who knows where OSX will be in the next few years), and it only has 32mb of vram...I am very close to buying the powerbook...I think I may just go for it tommorrow...hell with it.