Attention, K Mart shoppers!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

We now own Sears!

Personally, I was surprised that K Mart is acquiring Sears, instead of the other way around.

Either way, believe it or not I do see some synergy. Both companies are traditionally viewed as being behind the times. :rolleyes:

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Theoretically, this should be much better for Sears than for K-Mart. In fact, I see little benefit to K-Mart, where Sears will instantly get a ton of off-mall locations, which really is key to their growth.

3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

That's exactly what I said!

On the radio this morning, they were talking about how both companies haven’t been doing so well. They reasoned that the merger is "like strapping two drunks together to see if they’ll walk straight." :D

4. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Considering they closed all the off-mall locations over a decade ago in the reorganization to cut costs.

K-Mart needs some strong product lines to bring people into the store, adding Craftsman and some of the labels Sears carries will help K-Mart recover from the Martha Stewart mess.

After that happened, nobody really wanted to take a chance on teaming up with K-Mart.

Now with all the lines Sears carries, K-Mart can bring in some strong labels to their stores.

Of course this will bring them upmarket and right into Targets crosshairs.

6. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

All the K-Marts in Chicago... well, as RainMan said, "K-Mart Sucks." Sears' flagship store downtown is OK. I just can't see k-Mart's management teams bringing any sort of decent reorg to either chain/brand. I think it's a sinking ship and both chains should have jumped on the Target/Wal-Mart bandwagon a long time ago but were sleeping. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I really don't think they'll make K-Mart more upscale because that'll be what Sears is for. But K-Mart can diversify their brands a little bit, maybe get some of those old Sears merchandise in there, while Sears makes a transition into something more upscale. K-Mart shouldn't become more like Sears though, as neither store seems to be doing it right.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

K-Mart needs to move solidly away from the Wal-Mart customers... which they cannot compete with on price.

Target has been doing quite well, if K-Mart can stick solidly with them while offering some of the Sears own brands along with their suppliers products.

They may have a chance.

People have been hitting K-Mart for name brands (of course Sam's Best is also an consumer alternative), adding Craftsman, Kenmore, Levis, etc. to the Marth Stewart line will strengthen their drawing power.

Of course Sears has really been pushing their home-product lines quite hard, which they don't have the space for either at the mall locations.