ATTENTION Mac OSX Gurus!! HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Gus, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Well, here is my problem...actually it is my girlfriends problem...therefore mine too:D

She was using Duality 3.1 with the XP theme, (I know, I know-it was for poking fun) and was deleting some files on her iBook. All of a sudden, every application starts to "unexpectedly quit". Nothing would launch. When we rebooted it, the boot panel is gone, but there is still a system startup progress bar. When the Beach Ball of Death finally stops spinning, there is nothing but a blue screen. HaHa, I know, XP theme, Blue Screen of Death.

Now, booting into OS 9 is fine, and checking the system for OS X (separate partition), everything is there and looks good. I connected to it via Firewire target disk mode, and I loaded an Extras.rsrc file provided by the developer of Duality. It doesn't make a difference. :(

My question is: Is there a way either through OS 9 or FWTD mode that I can revert her back to Aqua, and if so, how in the heck is this done? I bet I'm gonna have to reinstall X aren't I?

Thanks in advance!

Gus

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Boot into os x and hold cmd + s then when it is booted into single-user mode (Like terminal but with black background) fsck -y 3 times and then give os x a try again. Hope this helps

3. Gus thread starter macrumors 65816

Gus

???

Thank you for such a quick post! I was wondering though, is that going to affect any of her files on the hard drive?

Gus

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

It will just look through the hard drive and system for any errors and I don't think it will change any of your files.

5. Gus thread starter macrumors 65816

Gus

Well

I tried your suggestion, and now I know what that command does, so thank you. Unfortunately, it still won't let me see. I HAVE, however, figured out the problem: It is not launching the Finder at startup. Anything not directly involved in the Finder works, but not the Finder. Ugh.

Anything else that could help? (Yeah, yeah, I know, a reintall is in my near future):rolleyes:

Gus

6. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

7. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

If you can launch everything except the Finder, can you launch System Preferences.app? Go into that and add another user, then log out and log back in as the new user. This should give you a mostly "clean slate." You can copy whatever files you need from /Users/olduser to /Users/newuser and then just delete the old user.

8. Paolo macrumors regular

if you can do everything but the finder then

Just backup all the important stuff and reinstall OSX... why you botherd to put 9 and 10 on seperate partitions... I don't know, it doens't really help much.
    EASY!!!!

9. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

Re: if you can do everything but the finder then

actually it can make a large difference when running classic and if your a developer.

hes most definately not having an hd problem... i wouldnt expect fsck to do anything for him...

im not chure if this will work.. but i am expecting it will:

first start target disk mode (by prestsing the "t" key)...
    then hook you computer up to another mac and boot that mac up into the installer cd for osx...

then simply reinstall os x...

im away from my mac now.. so im not all that chure if target disk mode will work with x (or the installer for that matter).. but its worth a try..

good luck!

-
    f

10. Gus thread starter macrumors 65816

Gus

Thanks!

To all of those that posted, I say thanks!

I finally figured out that she had a corrupted finder.app file. I have no idea how it became damaged, but I just replaced it with the one from my PowerBook, and everything was fixed. She has had no problems since. Whew. Hope that doesn't happen again.:)

Gus

11. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i cant believe no one else saw the intense amount of irony in his problems. he installed an XP theme and all of the sudden the entire system was borked and his entire operating environment was screwed because a file corrupted. that is one of the funniest things i have read in a while.

12. Gus thread starter macrumors 65816

Gus

Yeah

I was a little surprised no one else said anything about that either.:)

Gus

13. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Winblows strikes again, I guess it doesn't have to be programmed by microsoft, it just has been like it.