attitude towards PCs and PC users

Discussion in 'Community' started by Independence, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Independence macrumors regular

i notice that a lot of mac users badmouth PCs and PC users. do mac users hate PCs in general or the OS that is most commonly run on them? macs aren't all that different from PCs inside the cases so i really dont see any reason for the conflict.

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I agree. The whole mac vs PC argument is stupid. I use a PC but
    I like macs more. I just couldn't afford one. I mind PC users saying
    ignorant things, and the same goes for mac users too though.

3. guitargeek macrumors regular

Hopefully just the OS. Remember, linux is unix too!

4. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i am a former pc user. i hate pcs now. i built my own pcs and ran both linux and windows. i beta tested XP and thought it was really good. i was pretty happy with win2k. i thought i disliked macs.

then i was exposed to OS X and the Mac in general. everything i loved about linux, and nothing i hated about it. this was during the time when m$ really began to show their true colors, with the extortionist licensing schemes and getting into bed with big money interests on digital rights management. this is when microsoft began to try and take over the internet media, yet again much too let, with windows media and other inferior products/codecs. i am tired of the ways of microsoft. i have a choice and i made it. i feel sorry for anyone who is unable or unwilling to make this choice.

pcs are fast machines. they are cheap and full featured. usability of those machines is crap. why would i want a bunch of stuff that i have to fight with to use? i know windows and linux better than just about everyone i know, yet i CHOOSE to use a mac. the only reason i know how to tweak, fix, etc a windows pc is because i have always HAD to do so in order for it to work in an acceptable manner.

to close this rant, i want to USE my computer. i want to sit down with a goal in mind and accomplish it. the computer should not get in my way. if it does, i get frustrated. call me spoiled, but my mac shows me that i am not dreaming.

5. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

I agree. People on many Macuser boards seem to have this chauvanistic and sometimes illogical anti-PC attitude. As someone who uses both a Mac and a Windows PC on a regular basis, I can see the benefits and drawbacks of using each of platform.

I love my TiBook, but many Macusers seem have adopted some sort of "double-think" when confronted with problems with the Mac platform. Macs are more expensive? We pay for what we get! What, Macs are slower? OS X is a more stable OS! What, Windows XP is pretty stable too? Well, eh, Macs just look great, and I *love* to fork my money over to Apple!!!

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

Here is how I see the Mac vs. PC war...

I like PC users appreciating Macs with either honesty, or bashing of PCs, or not worshiping their PC. I hate it when they bash Macs for no reason.

You reading this, computer techie at my HS??

Then again, one room at my HS has two real old PCs, one with a broken mouse at any one point, and both getting the blue screen of death about a few times per week. It puts a smile on my face. :)

7. Independence thread starter macrumors regular

@sparkleytone: you say you hate PCs now and that usability of PCs are crap. a properly configured linux system (or even windows 2000) enables you to get work done, just like with your mac. if you had an aging PC that just wont run much of anything anymore with a bit of stability (like me, though i suspect an insufficient power supply) i can understand your frustration. but that doesnt make PCs bad. i've gotten quite a bit of use out of this PC and for a long time it's served me well. i never saw the usability as crap. take a look inside the case of a pc and a mac. they look the same.

8. guitargeek macrumors regular

I think you're calling him racist! :eek: ;)

9. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i thought this was sparkley's point? who really wants to have to go through an elaborate setup to get everything stable and working right?:rolleyes: i never thought of my windows PC as really troublesome, till i used my Tibook for awhile. and i am one of those people that had his XP box running for over a month without restarting.

10. guitargeek macrumors regular

No one. That's why you use linux. I would hardly call setting it up as "elaborate". All I did was a pretty generic install of Mandrake, and no tweaks other than a recompiled kernel (and only because a new one became available). But even before the kernel compile, it was running flawlessly.

Linux is to the point where you can install it and it just works, no tweaking required.

11. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i agree. i was mostly talking about Windows, but yeah. i think that still, anytime you run into troubles in linux, however rare, it's usually a bitch to fix. but linux is moving up there, and i definitely respect it.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't have a problem with PC users or PCs, in general. I use a PC at work and the place is full of them. Of course, some of the users claim that Macs are toys. I can't see ease-of-use making a computer a toy and I find that it takes a lot more steps to do most things in Windows (98SE, 2000, or XP) than Mac OS 9 and just a few more steps than with Mac OS X.

I almost bought a PC last summer. After using WinXP, I'm just glad I didn't.

You know, these fights have been going on for quite a while. It used to be Apple vs. Commodore vs. Atari way back when.

13. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

i dont really mind PCs...in fact i still have an old PC laptop that stays in my house all day (the powerbook travels). My big reason for preferring Mac is because OSX is where linux will be in years, at which point OSX will be all that more advanced.

besides that, i have a huge issue with microsoft. It seems there are just way too many ways people can observe everything you do. That and the fact that microsoft and intel have gone in with the big brother-esque computer monitoring. I dont want them deciding software or files of mine arent "legal" or whatever else they may decide and deleting them. Apple believes in the good of their customers and Microsoft just assumes you will be a criminal and makes sure they can stop you. Personally id rather use a superior product from a company that shares my basic optimism for humanity.

14. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

why would i ever want to configure anything? that was basically my point. i just want it to work.

15. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I grew up with P.C.’s and almost every time I use XP Pro, something goes wrong i.e. freezing applications, it just pisses me off!! :mad:
    So I just jump back on Jag and I am cool, but no OS is flawless; for instance, I constantly have to repair permissions in Jag to get my apps up to par or I have to log out to stop that damn beach ball from spinning so much!! :mad:

To rap it up, I concluded; that I need both Operating Systems to satisfy my needs, until software companies can make all apps available for Jag!!

16. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

been listening to some malcolm X speeches, have we?

it's odd how some people i know just had SO MUCH trouble with XP being very buggy and unstable, and many others, myself included, never had any trouble running it at all--crash-wise, anyhow:rolleyes:

17. jaykk macrumors 6502a

and i am tired of getting DLL missing error message

Mac OS X/unix is a well integratred system. No registry crap. I am tired of getting those DLL missing massages. Alas, i have to use Win 2000 at work. I swicthed to Mac about a year ago as my primary computer at home, and I think Mac OS X is the best OS ever..

1) Its unix
    2) The gui is more fluid - quiet opposite of regid Win systems
    3) The peripherals are just plug & play - unlike plug 'n' pray in Win
    4) Its more of life style change

18. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Yep Malcolm X is very influential to me!!!;)

The funny thing about Operating Systems is that they work different on the same type of hardware. Also after you download the update intending to fix the previous problem?. it sometimes exacerbate it!! :eek:

19. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

well, now that i think of it though, i have seen a good deal of variance around here with OS X and 10.2.4 causing some problems for people.

20. weev macrumors regular

weev

That's beautiful!!

________
    weev

21. Independence thread starter macrumors regular

huh? you gotta configure mac os x too unless it reads its ethernet settings from your mind. it takes less that two minutes to configure such a thing (static IP).

i guess user error and hardware come into play here.

22. King Cobra macrumors 603

I have a feeling you have a lot of software and do not realize what you are installing from who and what certain software can do to your system. If you have a lot of third party apps in beta or alpha mode, there is always the chance that something negative will occur within your system software. Also, I have noticed that a large portion of apps targeted towards PCs release insufficient or partially operative Macintosh software.

Remember, it's what you install on your system that can either improve it or screw with it.

Also, when was the last time you completely wiped the Hard Drive and performed a fresh install?

23. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Lets see...I use a PC, and I've been using a PC for years. No problems with it.

I'm getting a powerbook NOT because of the OS, but because apple knows how to design laptops. Do I dislike OS X? NO, I expect to have fun using it. Will I hate MS or XP after using OS X? Probably not.

I don't see the reasons to bash macs, but I don't see a reason to bash PCs either. But I have seen many mac users (i did not say all mac users) continually bash PCs, and "microsuck/microcrap" and I don't see the point. Got anti-piracy issues? There are ways to get around that. Miffed at the price of the OS? Apple's hardware isn't that cheap either. On the other side of the spectrum there are some PC users (note I did not say all) that don't understand why I'm even considering buying Apple. They are biased too on Apple's compatibility (like PDA software), and the selection of software.

I don't see the whole PC vs. Mac thing...I don't even see the point. It's a frikkin' computer, just as long as you can get your work done, and get it done quickly and efficiently (and PCs can do that just fine), then it's a good computer. I have a 550 MHz laptop and a 200 MHz desktop, and i can get the stuff that can be run on them done just fine. My friend has a 3 GHz PC and it can run games just fine. I know someone with a 500 MHz powerbook, and again, you get my point.

End rant.

24. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

It's not that I dislike PC users, it's just that I think that Mac OS X runs better than Windows. Some PC's are a good deal. But, I would rather not buy one, because of windows. So, I bought a mac.

25. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Re: attitude towards PCs and PC users

I agree! So many people in here jump on people for asking questions aout pc's or just tell them to get a mac as an answer to their question. Some people act like they are in some exclusive club where macs are superior to PC's and thus they are superior to PC users. Its really funny and kinda sad to watch this.