attitude

Discussion in 'Community' started by krossfyter, Dec 23, 2002.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

they say attitude is everything... is this really true?

can any person who has lost everything or has had a hard life really be happy if he or she has the right attitude?

if not what more is needed?

2. Dignan macrumors 6502a

Dignan

Attitude is the only thing you ever have complete control over.

Read some Frankl, Man's Search For Meaning

3. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Very true. So is there any kind of negativity that you would say is understandable or justified? I mean most people say negativity from anyone can be avoided if thier attitude was better.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Well personally, i'd say no negativity is justifiable, except for perhaps self-preservation (you learn to dislike things that threaten you), tho even that might not require negativity. I'm a wiccan and believe very much in psychic energy, so i think negativity should be avoided at all costs. I'd even go so far as to say that nirvana, or perfection, is simply complete lack of negativity.

Anyway, i digress. i definitely think attitude is one of the most important things in the world. But if people's attitudes weren't sometimes bad, maybe nothing would be accomplished? If we accepted everything and were happy with everything, there'd be no reason to innovate. I think another word for attitude is satisfaction.

:)
    pnw

5. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

interesting. cant someone not be satisfied with whatever but still be happy and still want to get to a certian goal and not stop till they do but never become un happy?

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Perhaps, tho i think the greater the discontent, the more motivation to change. Real revolution is the result of mass unhappiness in most cases.

A question to ponder, on this note, is: If everyone was happy, would there need to *be* change? We could certainly exist (all requirements for life being met) in a world the way it was centuries ago, and if we never knew what we were missing, would you prefer that existance? I'm not trying to make a point, it's a serious question.

Social evolution may very well depend on bad attitude... but how important would social evolution be without it?

Almost a paradox, if you really think about it...

:)
    pnw

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

My partner and i were discussing this, and it made me realize: sometimes social evolution happens because of simple curiosity... Franklin never thought "we need something like this" before he discovered electricity, he just wondered what would happen. So maybe without negativity and bad attitude, human curiousity itself would drive innovation... hmmm...

Anyway, we've strayed a bit from the original question... carry on... :)

pnw

8. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm a firm believer in "knowledge is power"

attitude is something needed...the right attitude...to get places in the world...

but when it comes down to it...it's the way u use your mind that ultimately gets u where u need/want to be ;)

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A positive attitude lifts the spirit, acccomplishments follow. Negativity breeds defeat.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Also, just by acting like you know what you're doing you can get away with a lot, even if you don't have a clue.

But attitude also goes hand in hand with motivation.

D

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

he he...no kidding...

it just gets to be really tricky when u have to put your money where u mouth is! :eek: ;)

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

If you have a really bad day and have negative thoughts, one's situation is not critical, unless those thoughts last for days on end, especially on not bad days.

I've had the personal experience to relate to this emotional rollercoaster, as many call it. And I feel that those giving help with something from an emotional standpoint can relate to the situation with personal experience, not from any book.

I agree with wdlove's statement, as well. And I can use that to sum up The Field of Psychology in one sentence:

"The will to life conquers everything in your path."

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Its especially important to be active this time of year. Many opportunities to help others, you can have fun, improve somone elses life, and have a good feeling inside at the end. :)