Attn: Americans - Call your Senators Now!

Discussion in 'Community' started by jobutex, Nov 17, 2004.

1. jobutex macrumors member

Ok, I'm begging you here... Our digital rights are in danger! Do something about it!!!! Note the reference to iTunes in the Wired article!!!!!!

Please, please make a call to both of your senators and ask them to oppose HR2391 and HR4077. All you need to do is call, and tell the person on the phone your name, where you live, and that you respectfully ask that Senator <name> vote against HR2391 and HR4077. It takes less than a minute to call their Washington office, and you'll be protecting your digital and fair-use rights! (Hint: It usually costs less to call out of state than in-state, so I would recommend the Washington office instead of a state office. Who knows if the state office will really get the message to them.)

Note: The bill is in the senate, but is still being referenced by the HR-designation, so don't be confused by that.

Here's some more info on the bills (very scary stuff):

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,65704,00.html
    http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/11/16/1529202.shtml?tid=226

Remember! You have two senators! Call both of them!!!

2. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

It's nice to know that the RIAA and MPAA are trying to make lots of friends. :rolleyes:

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Start building your financial (family) fortunes on the content you produce and let's see how your opinion changes. I didn't really see anything in the Wired article that worried me, although I admit I didn't read the text of the bills themselves.

4. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

It may be colder here, but its things like this that make me glad im a Canadian...

Good luck to you Americans and the retarded copyright bills you have to look forward to...

5. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

What about your iPod tax? Or don't they do that anymore? It's not just in america that dumb laws exist.

6. haiggy macrumors 65816

Yes, we still have that tax as well as on all MP3 players over a certain size. :rolleyes:

7. *Y* macrumors regular

Wow, those bills seem kind of scary. I really hope they don't get passed or else we are really going to be messed up.

8. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I think its over 5GB if I remember correctly... it's on blank cd-r's too. But its a small price to pay for being able to legally download copyrighted music off of p2p networks.. if that's you thing

9. sausages macrumors newbie

i'm just wondering who we should pay royalties to for using the english language. ...

10. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

You may send anything you see fit to me for the use of the English language, and the American language also. :D