Attn: Aussie Limewire users on Optusnet cable...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cb911, Sep 1, 2002.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i'm on Optusnet cable and today i haven't been able to connect in Limewire. i read their FAQ and it said that some ISP's might be blocking any connections to the gnutella network. i was just wondering if anyone on Optusnet is having the same problems? or does anyone have ideas as to why i can't connect to LimeWire?:confused:

2. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

it's not your ISP, unless it's mine too

I haven't been able to connect to Limewire at all for the past day. Until I read your post, I figured it was the client that was having problems (not remembering window size, forcing me to go through the wizard every other start-up, as well as not connecting to anything). Also, it should be noted that, while I used to be able to router.limewire.com:6346 in OmniWeb and get a "forbidden" error, now I get a "host does not exist" or something to that effect.

3. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Jag?

is it jag's fault? limewire has not worked for me since upgrading.... prefs are not remembered, no connections, but it runs faster.

4. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

^I don't know exactly what 10.2 did to LimeWire, but now it, and every other Java-based App (including Applet Launcher :eek: ) takes al least 23, usually 47, and sometimes more than 85 bounces (where it stops bouncing but is not yet open) to start up. For some reason, it tends to stick to the 23 and 47 numbers :confused:.

BTW, Limwire just started connecting again, for no apparent reason. Strange.

Update: now it will connect to the hosts i was downloading from when i quit Limewire to resume a download, but not to the actual network. This is seriously frustrating.

5. richie macrumors member

Well, I'm a netspace ADSL user in australia, and I've been having similar limewire connection probs today too - cleared up though now, it seems.

Just wanted to post particularly because of the thing about Java apps being slower to launch - I've experienced the opposite, and in fact, the GUI in java apps is so much faster than it used to be in pre-Jaguar, it's amazing. Maybe I'm all alone in seeing them being miles faster.

6. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

The GUI of the apps is faster, without a doubt, but it takes forever to launch.

7. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

i just left Limewire open for about 20 minutes the other day and then when i came back to have a look at it, it had connected to the network. so now i've got to leave it open for at least 20 minutes, but at least it eventually connects.

at least there's some good news- Optusnet isn't blocking Gnutella. :D

8. datalok macrumors member

yeah it has been playing up on optusnet - been unable to get any decent files downloaded all week - chat never seems to work either - i can recommend going to whirlpool.com.au for info on isp blocking -

9. datalok macrumors member

another thing with optusnet - i connected to my mail server with eudora and downloaded 479 messages apple mail said weren't there - a friend with optus has had same diffs