ATTN GRAPHIC DESIGNERS... Printer reccomendation?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by agentphish, Jul 30, 2006.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Hello!

Anyone who does graphics, or art... I am looking for a reccomendation on a new printer for my graphic design/graphic art. I am looking for a printer that will do borderless printing so that i can print 11x17 with full bleed (so It'll need to print 12x18 or larger) Double sided printing would also be a plus...

I've been having trouble nailing down what model/brind to go. Epson, HP, Canon?

Thanks!

2. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

ok maybe not graphic designers... ANYONE HAVE ANY RECCOMENDATIONS?

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Sadly, I dont' have any recommendations for you, but I'm interested in knowing the same thing.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

What price point are you looking to hit? Are you looking for a complete color-managed system, or just a new proofer?

We have a ton of Epson Stylus Pro devices, although those are likely to be a little more than what you're looking at ( > $2,000). However, Epson has another series of proofers, the Epson Stylus Photo series that will do borderless printing.

The R2400, at MSRP of about $850, is nice because is uses the new K3 series of inks. The K3 inks are stable (fade resistant) and less susceptible to metamerism (when inks look different in different lighting conditions). It will do 13" wide borderless.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm using a Canon i9900 for photography but it isn't PostScript-compatible.

Most of the minimally desirable models are over $1000, though you can find refurbished/clearance equipment on Epson's website, including the SC 4000 which would probably be my choice.

6. bradc macrumors 6502

I'm not a Graphic Designer but Image quality, colour is important. I have a Xerox Phaser 8550DP , it's amazing, so quick. But the best feature, it uses 'wax' for ink, so the wax is cheaper/cleaner and gives a really nice 'waxy/smooth' feel to your images/documents.

7. nater. macrumors member

Im a graphic design student and I've been using an Epson 1280. (not sure on the actual name) I bought it close to 3 years ago. It prints great, imo. Can go 13x19 borderless, double sided too. I get the best results whenever I use Epson paper and ink but I've heard of others using different kinds.

Quality wise, it's alright - NOT SUPER AWESOME but it cost me like $300. So I was pretty happy. Saved me cash - instead of using Kinkos or something like that.

Personally, I like it a lot. It works awesome for my use. I've heard they arnt being made anymore though - not sure though.

8. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

No longer made = correct
    can still be found NEW = yes, for ~$350.00, or used for ~$150.00. google is your friend :D

Try ILFORD Papers.....SUPERB QUALITY, although they do require a bit of trial & error to get the best combo of print & color management settings to produce the best prints. Prices are about the same as Epson's pro papers more or less

DO NOT, under any circumstances use off brand/el-cheapo inks in any Epson Photo series printer!!!!! they WILL completely and utterly FUBAR a 1280 in a heartbeat, along with whatever paper you have in there at the time....

been there,
    done that,
    the hard way :(

9. londonweb macrumors 6502

londonweb

I used to work in a photographer's agency and many of the guys we represented used the Epson 2100 to do prints for their portfolios. I think there's a new one now, the 2200 or something. The quality is astounding, I've held prints from it up against Lightjet prints from a pro- photographic lab and have been genuinely unable to tell the difference. The unit used to cost around £400 here, so about $600 US I would guess. The downside is the cost of the ink - it uses 7 different cartridges at around £12 a piece. It uses Epson 'UltraChrome' inks which are more vibrant and longer lasting than their usual ones. You can get ink systems for it that are much cheaper but I can't vouch for the results.

I've just checked their site and it looks as though the flagship inkjet printer is now the R2400