ATTN: IL Dog Owners

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by idkew, Dec 23, 2005.

1. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    The state of Illinois is currently tryin to pass a bill that will allow breed specific bans. If you are interested in fighting this bill, you can sign the following petition. Just an FYI. I own a pitbull and he is not in the least bit mean and would not want him taken away. Thanks for viewing.

http://www.petitiononline.com/ILHB4213/petition.html

above taken from another forum, but i wholeheartedly am against any bill such as this.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

hm, i didn't know it was a state bill. a few aldermen in chicago have been trying for a while to push a citywide ban, and i've a few friends who are quite active in fighting that.

3. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

i have 3 dogs and am a resident of IL. hmm.. this mustn't be good.

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I never really understood this.. I've known some pit bulls that were the sweetest little dogs to be on the earth.. and some "nice breed" dogs were ornery annoying, bratty little things.

It's how the dog is raised and trained.
    Our dog thought he was a cat for the longest time. When he was a puppy, the cat kind of "took care" of him.
    If we showed him how to be a vicious attack dog, he would have been.

oy, how I do not agree with this...

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

exactly. this is where the enforcement should be concentrated, imo.

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Hmmm.. how could they enforce that?

Mandatory doggie school? a licensing test for the dog?

What happens when the dog doesn't pass?

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

no, i mean penalties against an owner if an attack (or certain types of agression) occurs. from what i understand, they're not much of a disincentive.

8. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I could just about agree with mandatory school for people who want to keep dogs.
    And what about really dumb dogs who are sweeties?
    They make really sad eyes until the examiner feels bad and changes their scores.

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Of course this would come from a CAT sympathizer!
    iMeowbot? Ha!!
    I knew it!
    OK, I like cats more than dogs, too BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT!!

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out...

11. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I think they want to try and make sure the attack doesn't occur. As much as I hate more and more regulations, it's generally the pit bull or rotweiller you read about mauling or killing someone.

12. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

exactly. it is not the most dangerous breed statistically, but it get the most press.

it's breedism. typical media bias to make a story.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Might have something to do with the fact that people who want to raise an aggressive dog are attracted to certain breeds.

If I'm brewing meth at my house, I'm not going to bring home a pekinese to guard it. ;)

Personally I feel laws like this are stupid and serve only to punish the larger public for the actions of a few idiots. But people who would be up in arms if I argued that 'we need to ban handguns because of all those irresponsible handgun owners that kill' are perfectly content to ban specific breeds of dogs, even though that's a symptom, not the root cause.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

reminds me of the killer dog story of last october where a "perfectly nice sweet family" dog went crazy.. killed the other dog of his owner first and then attacked the owner (25 year old woman).. a neighbour saved her from her own dog with hitting him with a stick and holding him on distance with a chair untill the police arrived
    quote newspaper: "the two policemen took no risks and killed the dog with 17 bullets" :rolleyes:

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

There are penalties... the animal will often be put down (I'm sure that does feel like punishment for most owners because they hopefully love their pet), fined by the city and/or sued by the victims, and I believe there was at least one case of the animal owner having jail time? :conused: Not sure about that last one, though.

And I agree, it isn't right to target specific breeds. And just like with races in humankind, the media does focus in on the same couple of dog breeds. :(

:edit: Oops, I missed idkew's post above, post #12. :eek:

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

They tried to do this in Switzerland about 10 days ago, but it got shot down and never got put to vote. They were planning on banning 13 specific breeds from being bought, which got changed to massive taxes, which got thrown out.

A 10 year old got killed by 3 drug-dealer trained pit bulls on his way to school. Lovely.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

but do statistics support that? i'm awfully sorry i have no link, but here is part of a letter a friend sent to chicago mayor richard daley about that:

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from this now-archived article

felony charage for having pot for personal use, but no charge for the dog attack. this is what i meant when i said they should go after the irresponsible owners, rather than issue a statistics-defying ban on breeds.

20. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I like the idea, but Online Petitions rarely do anything but pool together a group of angry people to vote on something that has little effect, especially in government issues. This is also going to hold less ground as anyone from any region can sigh this petition, regardless of wether or not they live in the state.

You would be better off to pool together people and have each of them contact their local government, or representatives for this topic.

I wish you the best of luck on this topic, as I would never want my dog taken away!

[​IMG]

21. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

I agree with you there, but now, at least there are 200 more people who know about this attempt at a stupid law.