Attn imaging pros. I need some advice

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ifeelbloated, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

I just bought a Canon EOS Rebel 2000. I bought it used so it was pretty cheap. It's the starter kit and I'm kind of leery about that lense that comes with the camera. I've heard some dismal things about it. Like, it's only good as a paperweight.
    I do plan to step up and spend some money on a good lense. I had in mind a wide-angle telephoto zoom lense. I looked at some of the ones Canon offers and got one picked out but I was wondering if I could get by with one of the relatively cheaper lenses from the likes of Tamron or Sigma. I really want a good all around lense. Any suggestions?

2. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: Attn imaging pros. I need some advice

I've used Sigma lenses with and never had a problem. I know several pro photographers who SWEAR by them.

So, yea....i guess sigma's are pretty a-ok.

3. mr.w macrumors regular

If you want an awsome all around lense I would recomend a canon 28-135 IS. I have a conon eos 1n, a D60, and an eos 3, along with a sigma 15mm fish-eye, canon 20mm wideangle, sigma 105mm macro lense, canon 28-135 IS, canon 70-200 IS and a sigma 300mm. I would have to say that my favorite lense would have to be the 28-135 IS or the 70-200 IS.

The IS is great because it allows you to take "good" pictures in low light conditions. Both canon and Sigma lenses are incredibly durable (most made of metal and not plastic) You'll also have distortion free images free from any "fogging" around the edges.

If you have $400 to spend on a lense I would say buy the 28-135 IS - you won't regret it. If you have less than $200 go with a Sigma 28-105 Aspherical 2.8-4.

Either one would be a good choice.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Having a single all round lens as the only one for your camera is tough, but I'd have to agree that the 28-135mm would be a good choice and be a relatively fast lens for lower light conditions.

Eventually you might want something that zooms in a bit closer, but you'll be able to do quite a lot with that one. And I've been using a Sigma 70 - 200 mm as my second lens for 16 years now - its getting a bit more wear and tear on it and I'll eventually get a new one when I buy a new camera, but its been great and I'm still a bit amazed that I've actually had it that long.

D

5. Ifeelbloated thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, hey mr.w, the canon lense I had in mind was the exact one you recommended. I will purchase the canon 28-135mm and a bigger Sigma down the road.
    That's what I love about the internet. You can do your research and get advice just (snap) like that.

6. spinner macrumors regular

I was wondering how well you like your new camera. I have been considering getting either the Rebel 2000 or the Rebel Ti. Let me know what you think of it overall.

7. Ifeelbloated thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I don't have the camera yet. I ordered it online from bhphoto.com from their used inventory. They are on holiday right now, sukkos I believe, and won't ship until after Sept. 30. As soon as it gets here I'll let you know what I think. If you are interested in more opinions, I believe that amazon.com has some reviews for it. Overall, they were very good reviews.
    I think the criteria for taking great pictures goes like this,
    1) Talent (having a "good eye")
    2) Lens
    3) film
    4) camera