Attn: Portland/Beaverton, OR Techies

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DMPDX, Aug 4, 2006.

1. DMPDX macrumors 6502

To anyone lving in or around the portland/beaverton area that is in to tech should know about something. There is a place in beaverton, a company actually called tektronix, near beaverton mall. They are a company that makes various electronic computer and printer components. Well they have an "outlet" store that takes all of what they call outdated products that they use, such as P3, P4 towers monitors keyboards HD's Mice etc you name it (even some nice office furnature!) The towers are pretty decent too. The ones I saw while I was there were a couple P3 towers with 2000 professional installed on a 20gb drive running at 886 mhz. All for $40. And monitors are $10. mice are $.50 and keyboards are $1.00. The only catch is that the store is only open to the public on the forst and third thursday of each month. Still there are some really good deals on anything tech. Just thought The fellow pacific northwestern forum members shold know about this gem of a store.
    -dsm

2. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Oh wow. Thats actually really cool, I hadn't heard about that before. My only experiance with tektronix is that they would't let me learn to drive in their parking lot and that their buildings are next to Nike's employee store. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks!

3. DMPDX thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats really funny because my first experience with them was with my dad getting kicked out of their paring lot for learning how to drive. haha.
    -dsm

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Gah!

How can you be a Pacific Northwest (and specifically Portland) geek without knowing about Tektronix?! They're one of the oldest 'silicon forest' companies in the area. (They make high-end electronics test equipment such as oscilloscopes, and used to make high-end printers before they sold that business to Xerox.) They used to be based in Wilsonville, but move their headquarters to Beaverton (the building you found, apparently,) a while ago, and sold the Wilsonville building to Xerox with their printer business.

While you whipper-snappers may not know the history of such a storied NW company, you did find one fun thing I didn't know. I'll have to stop by next first-or-third Thursday!

5. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

Oh good ehurtley wrote what I was going to write.. hehehe :) while I haven't had much actual interaction with Tektronix most of my adjuncts at Portland State have either had jobs with Tektronix or Intel which gets test equipment from Tektronix.

6. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Mine too! hahaha

Well of course I knew about them, I just didn't know about the store! I assumed they must have a had an employee store, I just didn't know it was open to the public...