ATTN: those who buy from Apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by michaelrjohnson, Mar 8, 2004.

1. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I will be buying a BTO (Built-to-order) iBook in a matter of days. My online order at the onine Apple Store (before ordered, just my "saved order) shows an estimated shipping date of 1-3 business days. My question is this: does the 1-3 days actually mean that, or after I order, will I encounter a few week delay in shipment of my new BTO iBook?

THANK YOU ALL!

2. JasonL macrumors regular

I was surprised at how fast I got my BTO PB. I think I had it in my hands 5 days after I placed my order (and 2 days before the estimated arrival date).

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

i have the same experience..i ordered ibook bto , free shipping, it arrived in liek 3-4 days..way earlier than said..
    cheers and enjoy ur baby...

4. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

1-3 weeks from payment

those 1-3 weeks arent going to start until you pay for your apple product. It's like amazon or any other shopping cart... Apple is just saving your shopping cart, nothing more, when you save order. It seems like other people are getting their orders more quickly than apple says they will, but this is from the time that they pay, not from the time that they put it in their shopping cart. Now I'm guessing you have an iPod mini in your cart since that's teh only thing apple has that is backordered... I imagine if you wait a month or so, apple will get caught up and that "time to ship" date will get shorter.

5. krisjon macrumors regular

How long to wait?

I just got my new BTO PB 17" a week ago and it took a total of 5 business days before it shipped and then another 5 days to get it via FedEx. Most, if not all of the BTO machines lately are coming straight from the factory in Taiwan, so keep that in mind time-wise as you wait to receive it.

6. jade macrumors 6502

shipping in at the end of the period.

I ordered mine Tuesday and it arrived on Friday morning, beating the ship estimate on the email I received

7. Colonel Panik macrumors regular

Perhaps we Europeans aren't so lucky. I ordered my iBook on the 18th Feb, and it arrived 1 March. The waiting time said 3-5 days, but when I phoned to ask where it was, they said that the time indicated how long it would take Apple to get the iBook from Asia, and then it would take a couple of days until I got it.
    Still, that time frame is better than when I ordered my other Macs - they took weeks and months to come, though that was last year/the year before and I ordered through a shop, but they told me that the orders went straight to Apple, even before I'd paid, and the delays were all Apple's doing.
    Any other Europeans out there confirm my story? Not only do we get ripped off in price, but also in waiting time...

8. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

In my personal experiences with the Apple online store I've always received delivery earlier than originally promised... That goes for BTO hardware systems as well as single pieces of software... :)

9. BowiPod macrumors member

My Pbook 12" BTO (UK) took exactly a week from order until it was in my hands.

10. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

thank you all for your responses. based on what you guys are telling me, i should expect my package no longer than apple's estimate projects. and that's a wonderful thing! thanks all

(maxterpiece- i am fully aware that they wont' ship me my computer until i actually pay for it.)

11. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Not BTO hardware, but I ordered Photoshop and Illustrator upgrades from the Apple store a month or so ago. Shipping was estimated at 5-7 days. Regular shipping - nothing special. They arrived at my house the day after I ordered. Nice surprise when I got home from work.

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The Ship time is the time from when it is released from customs, or after all customizations are complete. I ordered an iPod in September, and it a full 2 weeks to get to me even though I paid for 2-3 day shipping.

TEG

13. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

ive heard horror stories of ordering products BTO right when they are released. . . but the iBook has been shipping for a while now and should be fine.

14. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

The estimated shipping time is there to tell you when Apple expects to ship it to you from California, not to tell you how many days it will take to get to you from when you pay for the order.

In short, the estimated shipping on the order page, plus whatever shipping method you've chosen (five-day ground, two-day, et. al.) is how long it ought to take.

15. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

You must mean 1-3 days?

I received my Refurb iMac within four days of ordering...including shipping days. They leave a few days in there for busy periods, shipping delays, etc., but most likely you will receive it much faster than you expect...unless there is some unforseen problem...huge shipping delays due to weather, etc. which can happen.

16. raynegus macrumors regular

I got my BTO 20" iMac in 4 days from the day I placed the order. Damn fast. Shipped from California to Oregon. Free shipping option. 1 GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive, internal bluetooth added at factory. Highly recommend!

17. jap4n macrumors member

man, i wish i lived in the states.. i'd so love to be able to buy stuff and have it shipped.. for real cheap too.

i'd get a 64' impala too.. with whitewalls, and lots of chrome... and try that microwave trick with the $20 bill (exploding right eye?)!? and have corndogs and dr. pepper!

ohh and leeech off wallstreet hotspots with my 802.11g..

:)

18. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

I ordered a G5 powermac which was listed at "to be shipped in 2-3 weeks" and I got it in 5 days! It varies....