ATTWireless any good??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by djbahdow01, Apr 4, 2004.

1. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

I have just ordered a new plan through ATT Wireless and i was wondering what other people thought about them. I have had Cingular in the past if that means anything. I go to college in Miami, and live in New England. So travle between the Atlantic Coast is very important to me. Just wondering what the coverage is like throughout the East Coast as i will be driving home in the next month. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
    BTW: It is Family Shared plan, GSM. Got early nites at 7PM, and unlimited mobile to mobile. 1050 shared minutes.

2. krisjon macrumors regular

AT&T = Cingular

As of about a month ago, AT&T wireless is now owned by Cingular. It will take awhile for the transition, but eventually it will all be one company.

I've been a very happy AT&T wireless customer for a number of years, but am a little leery of possible service changes/customer service issues from the merger. However, it shouldn't affect you coverage area. If anything, it will get better with the merger of the two networks.

3. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I guess it depends on the area. My experience with ATT wireless in Los Angeles has been nothing but a big headache. I got very weak signal strength wherever I went. When I joined cingular wireless, all my troubles went away. I am sure when Att becomes Cingular wireless, things will only improve.

4. djbahdow01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I knew about the merger, and I figured the coverage can only get better. As I really had no problems with Cingular. I knew i would get a better deal from ATT right now, and went with it. Just wondering right now what the coverage is like in the Carolina's as the Map for GSM doesn't have much in network coverage in that area. Luckily New Englad area and Miami are fully covered.

5. krisjon macrumors regular

Even though I live in Southern California, I travel frequently to Georgia to see family and up to both North and South Carolina to visit friends. Service and coverage in all 3 of those states has been excellent with AT&T and I've been all over. Hope that helps.

6. djbahdow01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That helps out a lot, i just don't want to get slammed with roaming charges even though i have a Nationwide plan. The plan i had with Cingular that i got 2 years ago gave me no roaming. If there are some roaming i just won't call from there unless i really need to.

7. Scenicroadways macrumors regular

Verizon my choice

as far as the most extensive coverage for the whole country Verizon Wireless is the leader right now. Ive had great experience with them.

8. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

verizon is your best bet for anywhere in new england. they have all the best tower locations from the old bell atlantic days and the converage here is by far the best. ATT is alrihgt in major cities, but outside that it can be kinda bad. i am basing that on the expirence of some friends.

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Well, eventually, but they haven't merged yet. Who knows . . . the FCC could block the merger or something. They're two separate cos. until probably the end of the year, and then even the merged co. will probably be run like two separate cos. for another year.

10. djbahdow01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have an update about ATT, they have anounced that they are allowing customers to use a Cingular signal for free, meaning that there is most likely no more roaming in the US for ATT customers. Just wanted to let you guys know. Also they are coming out with new plans today or tomorrow reflecting that deal.

11. Lucky736 macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

I work for ATT Wireless. I hate to say it but the GSM service sucks at best in alot of areas until our new plans which start today. They allow you to use any GSM network if you are on or were on a National plan with GSM and never p[ay another roaming charge! Exceptions are the unlimited 99.99 charter which does not get grandfathered with the new coverage. Now I would consider it for GSM b/c the coverage map for GSM is now even larger than the Digital Map! You did a good thing as long as you got on a National Family Plan and not a Local, which it sounds like you did get on a National Plan. Also since you did a 2 year every year you will be getting your choice of a few replacement phones for free. I've had almost everyone for wireless service though, and sadly until now, I would not have recommended my won service unless you lived in a large metro area. Let me know if you have any ?'s I can help with.

Mike

12. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Here in the bay area in geting cingular service with my att account...its very good. i get reception all over the place exept underground when i ride bart

13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-djbahdow01

I've been a member for 5 years. The reception for CDMA (PCS) is purely average, and the GSM (mLife) is marginally better. However, the aspects that make it the winner for me is the support of BlueTooth phones, and the incredible customer service.

There have been screwups in my bills, but they've always come through.

14. Lucky736 macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

TDMA is great. GSM is soso. Now our GSM will work much better in buldings as well as we have adjusted the power bands and ratings on some of the towers. Should have alot better service as of the 18th, which is today when alot of the changes took place. We'll see....... I am all for features and capabilities however if it is at the expense of service quality I am not. :rolleyes: If anyone else has any ?'s I can answer though or are wondering anything I will be more than happy to answer anything I can.

15. djbahdow01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well i can say as of right now i am very happy with the plan i have. And i can say customer service seems to be very helpful, i ended up haveing 30 min roaming on a family national plan, turns out one of the phones was only set to local. Not sure why but it was a quick fix. I got the Moto V600 and it is a sweet phone, Lucky is there any way to get the Mlife soft key off of the home screen, sometimes when i flip the phone open i end up hitting that button and i long on for not long but i still get like 1000 bytes each time, and that can add up quickly.