ATV 3 without a network

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by theslaz, Dec 24, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Bought a ATV 3 about a month ago and it is working perfect at my home via my home network. I want to take this ATV and my new MacAir (Xmas gift) to my in-laws over the holidays. They do not have a computer or a internet connection. My question is; will it be possible to use the ATV without a network?
    I do have access to the internet if I wish. It would be through the neighbors connection. Signal and speed is excellent!

Thanks

2. macrumors 68040

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes! That is normally how I use the internet at my in-laws. Tether from my iPhone 4 to the computer.

4. macrumors 68000

If it's only for a day or evening, why not just bring your network (router) with you? You don't need an internet connection unless you plan on streaming from Netflix or some other online service.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

I could take a router with me. I was just wondering if it was possible over bluetooth!

6. macrumors 6502a

You could try bringing a Macbook or something and create an Ad-Hoc network - that turns your Macbook into a Wi-Fi hotspot that'll let you stream from your Mac to your ATV - you may be able to add your iPhone or iPad to that network for AirPlaying as well.

7. pullman, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012

macrumors 6502

pullman