ATV 3 worth it when my whole collection is optimized for ATV2?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Navdakilla, Apr 1, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

Feb 3, 2011
    So here is my situation folks.
    I have a ATV2, absolutely love it. Any tv series or movie I get I immediately convert via handbrake with the ATV 2 settings and then can stream it whenever I want to the tv (46" inch LG 1080p LCD, will be upgrading in the near future). Over the last half year I have built up a 2 TB movie/tv show collection all encoded in 720p (some are standard def as well)

My question to you guys is: would it be worth it (I'm not talking $, talking experience) to upgrade? Does the ATV3 up convert (or upscale, not sure which term I should use) 720p video?

The new movies i get from here on out I will transcode 1080p and might go back and do that with some of my favourites that were previously in 720p, however I don't want to do it for the whole collection all over again, so I'm not sure what I should do.

Thanks everyone
  2. HobeSoundDarryl, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

macrumors 601

Feb 8, 2004
    Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Only you can answer these questions. They're all eye-of-the-beholder questions.

Are you happy with 720p video you get now (maybe from cable/satt?) upscaled to your 1080p screen? If so, you'll probably be happy with your :apple:TV 720p upscaled to your 1080p screen. Just in case there is any confusion on the topic: upscaling is not the same as native. In the former, you are asking the :apple:TV to make best guesses to invent about 1 times more pixels than it has in the 720p files; in the latter, the actual pixels intended will be in the file.

On the other hand, if you notice the difference, then the difference matters to you. Consider re-encoding for 1080p. It sounds like it will be a big job so, exactly as you are thinking, consider starting with those videos that matter most to you and get to the others over time.