Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
So -- I just started to look at upgrading to the 4th generation. I see that it does not have an optical out -- only HDMI. Currently, I use a 2 Channel audio system, so I've got optical audo coming out of my ATV3 into the amp, and then an HDMI taking the video into my tv.

I guess I can't do that anymore? To upgrade to the 4thGen, I have to either use the TV speakers for the ATV or buy a new amp wtih an HDMI input and pass-through?

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
I think some of the guys around here use an HDMI to optical converter for older AVRs. Maybe someone can make a recommendation...

Another option is if your TV has an optical out, you can run from the TV back to the AVR. Some folks (including myself) have reported audio sync issues with the ATV 4 with this configuration, however.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Actually, confirming what previous poster (above) recommended in his second approach.

No need to change anything at all. I have the exact same setup as you: 2-channel amp (receiver in my case) with upgrade from ATV3 to ATV4. My recommendation is to connect your TV to your amp with the same optical cable you were using between ATV3 to amp. Now with HDMI connected to your TV, the TV should then pass-through the digital audio signal unaltered to your amp. Your amp will then decode the audio via its DAC (digital to analog converter) as it had been doing when using your ATV3.

The one thing I did was tweak the audio settings in ATV4, as it will change the digital audio output (for the worse) otherwise.

If your TV doesn't have optical out, just use the TV's analog out (usually earphones mini-plug to RCA) to the amp.

Last edited:

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Thanks. I'll try this tonight.
What tweaking did you do on the ATV4's audio? Basic stuff?

For 2-channel (our situation):

Surround Sound = Stereo
Reduce Loud Sounds = Off
Navigation Clicks = Off
Sound Effects and Music = Off
Audio Mode = 16 bit
Siri = Off
Dictation = Off

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.