Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lexar

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2011
I tried it and I find it very good. The interface is seamless with ATV so it really looks like its part of the package.

The media player is very responsive and good quality. Streams most formats e.g. mp4, mkv, avi, dvix, xvid, m2ts etc.. (It does not recognize my older Camera avi, and does not play some other formats)

The music player is also kind of cool since you can do a slide show of the artist with pics from the internet.
The picture player is good if you want to view pics from a directory structure rather then using iphoto.

jcschlic

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
After trying it out for a few days, I decided to ask for a refund. It's media player is what I really wanted it for. Unfortunately, it was too slow when accessing media from my NAS. It would take forever to find movie poster and metadata info. This may have been because I was using a wireless connection...FYI

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Is there anyone who has this (http://firecore.com/atvflash-black) that could comment on whether it's any good?

I'm after something for my Apple TV 2 that has a similar interface and can stream a variety of formats from a dlna-compatible NAS box.

Ta.

It's integrated in the native interface, and it kind of looks like "ATV2 plus" with a bit more options. But that's about it. I find the player even less responsive than the native player, so skipping back and forth is a pain sometimes.

And like jcschlic says, it takes forever to find the information. Even if you've sat there and patiently waited for everything to load, it's like it's doing everything again the next time you go in.

I've tried it for a week or two now, and I must say I don't like it even half as much as I like XBMC. It's not seamlessly integrated in the native interface, but that would also be just about the only negative thing about it...

And it's free, compared to 30 bucks for ATV Flash black.

jmhays

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011
I have been using the Firecore aTV for the past 2-3 years, starting with the original AppleTV and now on the AppleTV 2. I have always used a wired ethernet connection and never had ANY problems watching a movie or listening to music.

I originally ripped all my movies using the MKV container format because I bought a Tivx that was recommended by a few other local users of the device. The Tivx works OK, it just doesn't have the slick user interface that the AppleTV 2 has. Using the Firecore aTV jailbreak/unlock and Media Player I was able to play the 1,500 movies that I have ripped in the MKV and ISO formats. Otherwise, I would have had to re-rip all those movies and TV shows and that would have been a REAL pain.

I have tried to use the XBMC app on both the AppleTV and the AppleTV 2 but have yet to be able to get it to work. I am sure I am not doing something right, it sure would be nice if you could find a user manual for these applications.

lexar

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2011
That is strange about your response time of the media player.. I have been watching blueray rips and it is able to keep up with no problem. Of course if you fast forward or rewind it will say "buffering" for a second or two but that is for all streaming solutions.
I do have it hard wired so maybe that is the difference?

Also for collecting the media and clipart is has improved quite a bit over the previous versions.

I use XBMC as well but mainly for the addon channels suchs as Navi-X etc...
But definitely to watch streaming content form a PC or NAS its faster and smoother to go through atv flash.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
That is strange about your response time of the media player.. I have been watching blueray rips and it is able to keep up with no problem. Of course if you fast forward or rewind it will say "buffering" for a second or two but that is for all streaming solutions.
I do have it hard wired so maybe that is the difference?

Also for collecting the media and clipart is has improved quite a bit over the previous versions.

I use XBMC as well but mainly for the addon channels suchs as Navi-X etc...
But definitely to watch streaming content form a PC or NAS its faster and smoother to go through atv flash.

If you press the down key on the remote so that you get the "chapters" in order to skip several minutes in one press (not rewinding or fast forwarding, but actual skipping), the native and the flash black player both are quite slow to start the video, but in XBMC this is immediate, it's not even a question of buffering one or two seconds. Same thing goes for fast forwarding or rewinding. Buffering a few seconds in the native and flash black player when hitting play, but immediate in XBMC. There is nothing at all that's faster in the native or the flash black player, except the three seconds start up time that XBMC has when you start the program...

I mean, of course I would also say that the native and the flash black player keep up. But it's more like driving a Volvo on the autobahn (no speed limit), it'll keep up and it's quite fast. But then XBMC is like a Bugatti Veyron... ;)

This is only for the video player, mind you. When it comes to music and picture viewing I love the native interface :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.