ATV high bit-rate 1080p and resolution concerns

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by AnTaR3s, Jan 30, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Hi

I always played with the thought of getting and ATV to get my HD content from my iTunes library to my TV.

However, I have a major concern.

When I try to stream some movies to my iPad via iTunes, the video gets stuck. I do not if this is due to bandwidth issues or if my iPad (3rd Gen) can't cope with high bit-rate content. Now I am worried that when I buy an ATV, also this device won't be able to play my content because it lacks the power. The ATV would get a wired connection anyway, so there can't be any problem with bandwidth.

I am sure many of you have experience with streaming high quality stuff to your ATV, so I had hoped you could share your experience. :)

Also, my Flatscreen is 6 years old and has 1366x768 resolution and supposedly should support HD resolutions (there is this HD ready sign on it). Is this a problem for the ATV?

thanks
    Antares

2. thread starter macrumors member

No hint? :(

3. macrumors 6502

Just an FYI, this resolution means that your TV is 720p, not 1080p. the HD-Ready also means that it likely supports 1080i for incoming Cable signals, but 1080p is a no-go.

Therefore, most of the rest of your post is irrelevant as your content will end up being downscaled anyway. Just to help you out for future use though, I have streamed full 1080p Blu Ray remuxes (between 25-35GB, bitrate of ~25,000kbps or so) and had no issues on my ATV3.

I generally keep my files at about a ~7800 kbps bitrate however, as I find them to be of equal quality to my eyes, and I prefer the space savings. =]

4. thread starter macrumors member

Hey

So does this mean that the ATV scales the 1080p content down to the output resolution, or would I just not be able to play my 1080p content (which then makes an ATV completely useless)?

:)

5. macrumors 68020

no, it makes your TV completly useless, The aTV will play the files, then you can either
    *set the aTV to 720 output, and the aTV will do the downscaling
    or
    *set the aTV to 1080 output if your TV will support it, and the TV will downscale.

6. macrumors 6502

I found this hilarious.

(his post is also correct)