ATV Holiday Screen Saver

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mechanicallion, Dec 5, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for how best to create a holiday screen saver on the ATV while playing music through iCloud. I have the ATV currently running through a Yamaha sound bar and was initially planning on turning the TV off (since it's not used for sound). However, the ATV goes into sleep when I do this. I tried searching for Christmas/Holiday on flickr but one of every ten photos was random. I appreciate the help/ideas in advance.

2. macrumors P6

Intell

I believe the Apple TV no longer goes to sleep when playing music via the optical out when running the latest firmware, 4.4.3.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Does the optical digital out on the ATV override HDMI? I think I have an old optical cable lying around somewhere, so I'll have to experiment. Thanks for the help.

4. macrumors P6

Intell

I think the Apple TV can output to both HDMI and optical at the same time. I could be wrong, its been a while since I tried.

5. macrumors 6502a

I set up an album in iPhoto with a bunch of Christmas/winter photos and images. I also scan in Christmas cards and add them. I found a bunch of Christmas movie posters and included them, too. I then sync that album to my ATV and select it as my screensaver.

I should point out I'm using an ATV1. I assume it would work the same with an ATV2.

6. macrumors regular

It can. Mine goes HDMI to the TV and optical to the surround receiver. Both play at same time.

7. macrumors 6502a

Because i have a very large photo library in iPhoto, I actually have created a separate library titled "Apple TV Screensavers" with multiple albums in there. From Christmas, to Actors Faces, Movie Covers, Beach Scenes and several other. I just pick the album I want depending on the occasion. Obviously, its an ongoing thing that grows with time.

Having it as a separate library when your main iPhoto library is 42Gig makes it a fast load for the ATVs. The screensaver kicks in 2mins after I start a playlist!:D

8. macrumors G5

Macman45

You Are Correct

It won't sleep, it displays track information and scrolls through the album art from your library.

9. macrumors regular

That's pretty slick. That's a very neat thing to do with the Christmas cards.