ATV, Mac Mini and HDCP questions

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by seajay96, Aug 24, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Jun 26, 2010
    Ok, I am living temporarily in Europe, my apartment is already furnished, and the TV only accepts DVI, VGA, composite video and SCART inputs.

I already have an AppleTV that I can't seem to connect to the TV in any way to avoid the HDCP error. Right now, I get a good picture for everything but movies via an HDMI/DVI convertor. I've tried component to VGA and component to SCART convertors to get passed the HDCP issue, and I can with VGA, but it has an overwhelming green tint.

First question: Any ideas on a convertor that will work to overcome the HDCP? A sync-on-green adaptor?

Second question: I've already been considering upgrading to a Mac-Mini anyway; if I do this, will I have the same issues with HDCP?

2. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 26, 2010
  3. macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2008
    Nottingham, UK
    Can't help with your first question, but for your second question, It would seem the mini also needs a HDCP complient signal path to view copy protected content:-

If you've already got an AppleTV then instead of spending $800 on a mini why not spend half as much on a new TV with HDMI sockets.