Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EarthDawn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Long-eye Land, NY
Ok so I was about to take back my atv as iTunes could not find it but the one in the bedroom where the computer is it finds no problem. It was finding the one in the living room without issue until Sunday afternoon.

Before I take it back I switch the ATV's and the 1 that worked in the bedroom does not work in the living room and vice versa. Sooooo I am now assuming that for some reason 25' is too far for it or a setting in itunes or my computer has changed ???

HELP... I dont get it ... it almost has line of site to the living room as well.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Ok, so, the short answer is: power cycle.

The longer answer is: some OS X versions have a heck of a time with wireless, and sometimes, when iTunes drops its connection to Apple TV, it can't get it back without power cycling the equipment.

If power cycling fixes the issue (which is usually does), let us know what OS you're running, what other equipment is nearby, whether you have cordless phones, etc.

Can you tell that I think there's some interference issue?

nittany

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
This is what frustrates me so much about wireless networks. One day it's okay, the next you're hosed.

As your testing shows that both aTVs work fine when located in one part of your household, then it seems right to conclude it's a network coverage issue. In this case, your setup is important. While you've told us that there is near line of sight from your computer to the living room, is the wireless router or access point that feeds the aTV also in the same proximity?

It doesn't really matter what's between your computer and the aTVs, it matters what's between your router and the aTVs. In this regard, has something changed recently?

EarthDawn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Long-eye Land, NY
everything has remained the same... as said it was fine for the past 3 weeks and on Sunday it just dropped off iTunes....
I tested the unit and know it works.

the router/wireless setup is inbetween the livingroom and bedrooom

and the wireless signal on the ATV in the livingroom says 5 bars or full strength

no cordless phones as we use our cell phones and nothing that would interfere

OS is OS X 10.5.3 and iTunes is up to date and ATV's are version 2.0

soooooo how do i powercycle ????

THANKS !!!

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Shut it all off, then turn it all back on.

Start with quitting iTunes and then start it up again. See if it finds the missing Apple TV. If not, shut off and restart your computer. If not, then shut down and restart your Apple TV. Pull its plug. And then, if still necessary, the router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.