ATV2 and ATV3

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by thatoneguy82, Jul 23, 2012.

  1. macrumors demi-god


    So, I really like ATVs, I have 4 of them. Anyway, I found out last week that the 2nd gen was worth more than originally paid for and since I had 2, I decided to sell one on eBay. I sold it for $175 and used my Amazon credit and purchased an ATV3 to replace it, since I didn't really care about JB. Anyway, now I'm contemplating about selling my other ATV2 but I'm having second thoughts because it seems to be valued because of it's ability to be JB. My concern I guess is that is there anything special hardware-wise in the ATV2 that allows it to be able to JB or is it just one of those things that requires time before ATV3 will be able to be JB'd. Bottom line I suppose is that, is there any reason for me to hold on to the ATV2 instead of selling and using the proceeds to upgrade to an ATV3?
  2. macrumors 65816

    The atv3 will eventually be jailbroken but if you use the jb features now keep the 2 if not sell and get the 3.
  3. macrumors 6502a

    for every programmer at apple that is working to prevent you from jail breaking their products, 1,000 more programmers are on the internet looking to jailbreak their products. Like anything it's a matter of time.

    Hacking apple products is a much beloved past time.
  4. macrumors demi-god


    I see, thanks.

    On another note, I noticed that my other ATV2 is on 5.0 and not 5.0.2. Is there any reason why I should *NOT* update to 5.0.2? I took a screen shot of the "About" screen for my previous sale and it was on 5.0.2.
  5. macrumors 6502

    Nope. You can update the ATV2 to the latest release and still be able to jailbreak it.
  6. macrumors demi-god


    Great. I was thinking this may be the case, but just wanted confirmation. Thanks so much.

Share This Page