ATV2 good, but not great!!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Aragorn234, Apr 16, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Mar 10, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    The ATV2 is Good but not Great. I have Jailbroken the device and use Firecore for the ability to stream files from my NAS. This works well with only a few buffering issues on the odd occassion.
    Firstly I will give you an idea of my home setup for Apple Devices.
    Airport Extreme (current Generation)
    iMac (may 2011 - Lion)
    Apple TV (2nd Gen)
    numerous other idevices.

My first concern is that I use the Apple TV and iPad to stream photos to our main TV. I am using the 5 Ghz network and i have 2 - 3 bars of service. However it seems to be slow and laggy at times. I have tried also to stream music as well as photos and this is not possible.

Recently the Airplay connection does not even appear on the iPad and I have to turn off and on all the devices and randomly starts to work again.
    Any suggestions on how to improve performance or provent the drop out of airplay. I was thinking an Airport Express to extend the network to the lounge room and get a stronger signal. However I do not want to spend $100+ on a device that will not help

The Second issue is when I use home sharing to play music through my ATV iTunes will randomly crash on the iMac. I have fully updated to the latest version of everything. I go into the list and select, and iTunes crashes.

ANy thoughts.
  2. macrumors 65816

Dec 10, 2002
    I know you said you have a few bars of reception, but something is clearly intermittently interfering with your network.
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Mar 10, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I agree that something is causing interference. However I am not sure what this is. It maybe distance or too many rooms between the devices. THat is why I was thinking that if I use an extender like the AP Express this may resolve some of the issues being experienced.

The other option is if I plug the ATV into Ethernet will Airplay still function and have better performance. I have ethernet cabled to the area for the PVR, I could always use this data point for the appleTV when required to Airplay.
  4. macrumors 6502

Jan 20, 2008
    I know this will sound counter intuitive but have you tried connecting to G instead of N?

For me while N is faster I find G to be more stable when it comes to walls and what not.

Worth trying if you cannot hardware it
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Mar 10, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I did use the other non 5Ghz band but performance was worse.
    I will try the Ethernet connection and see if that improves the perfromance any