Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
So I'm just planning ahead looking forward to jailbreaking my ATV2 and I understand the ATV2 utilizes a micro-USB....

So what kind of cable do I need to buy? Micro-USB to USB (MacBook Pro)....

Thanks...

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Yep...MuscleNerd had posted that today was going to be Funday/Sunday for the latest PwnageTool...and I know MuscleNerd has been hard at work on it (Thank You Dev-Team!) so late tonight or probably sometime Monday we will be on our way.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
The USB port on the Apple TV appears to be micro B. If it is a micro B then the Apple TV may be designed to act only as a slave/peripheral (meaning that it could only be attached to a host controller device like a Mac/PC). This could also mean that it wouldn't work with USB-wired hard drives, mice, keyboards, etc. Thus, if you are waiting for a hack that will enable directly attached USB storage to the ATV2 then you MAY be out of luck.

If Apple had wanted the ATV2 to be able to act either as a host or peripheral device they would have used a micro AB port (in that case the ATV2 would be a On-The-Go -- OTG -- type device).

The ATV1 has a USB standard A type receptacle which means that the ATV1 can operate as a host (when hacked).

jgunn

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
The USB port on the Apple TV appears to be micro B. If it is a micro B then the Apple TV may be designed to act only as a slave/peripheral (meaning that it could only be attached to a host controller device like a Mac/PC). This could also mean that it wouldn't work with USB-wired hard drives, mice, keyboards, etc. Thus, if you are waiting for a hack that will enable directly attached USB storage to the ATV2 then you MAY be out of luck.

If Apple had wanted the ATV2 to be able to act either as a host or peripheral device they would have used a micro AB port (in that case the ATV2 would be a On-The-Go -- OTG -- type device).

The ATV1 has a USB standard A type receptacle which means that the ATV1 can operate as a host (when hacked).

it's micro-b, you can tell by the wedge shape, micro-a is rectangular. so yeah, very doubtful that you could plug a hdd in directly

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
it's micro-b, you can tell by the wedge shape, micro-a is rectangular. so yeah, very doubtful that you could plug a hdd in directly

This is very sad news indeed. The ability to hook up an external HD is the ONLY feature I really want on the ATV2.

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2008

I'm not too bothered about this really. Just as long as SMB gets enabled for hard drives on my Airport Extreme!

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Actually, all the newer WD passport drives are using this connection now, so I don't think you'll have to much trouble.
Yes, but that's the problem. The ATV2 ALSO has a micro B port and there aren't any micro B to micro B cables because USB is not designed to work that way. You can get a micro B to a standard (full-sized) USB type A plug but you aren't going to find any peripherals (drives, keyboards, mice, etc.) that have a type A socket.

Apparently, micro B to micro A cables exist, but that won't work either (it might if Apple had used a micro AB port on the ATV2). Other than on a host computer (Mac/PC) the only place you'll see a type A socket is on a USB hub. and that port is used for connecting peripherals, the host computer is connected using a type B socket on the hub.

Thus, you're not going to find any USB cables that will allow you to connect the ATV2 to a hard drive.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I'm not too bothered about this really. Just as long as SMB gets enabled for hard drives on my Airport Extreme!

Yes, this would work for me as well. How likely is this from happening, and what exactly would this entail? Hacking the Airport Extreme?

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
I have a Passport Studio external drive connected to my AirPort Extreme via a USB connector and all works fine.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Its getting closer....

15 mins ago
p0sixninja: We have big things planned for the AppleTV jailbreak ;-)

NateEssex

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
"Things" and apps for ATV2

What "things" do you think might they have planned? What apps would make it worth it to get an ATV2?

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I have a Passport Studio external drive connected to my AirPort Extreme via a USB connector and all works fine.

Yes, but that still has to be run through itunes on a Mac running all the time. I'd like to be able to hook the external HD to the airport extreme, and have the Apple TV access that drive without a Mac running. Some sort of file system software on an OS is needed... Maybe I'm wrong?

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
Yes, but that still has to be run through itunes on a Mac running allnthe time. I'd like tone able to hook the external HD to the airport extreme, and have the Apple TV access that drive without a Mac running. Some sort of file system software on an OS is needed... Maybe I'm wrong?

Not having to leave my imac open with itunes running so my apple tv can access my movies on my external hdd hoocked up to my air port exteme would be a dream come true !!

If the apple tv does get jailbreak with good apps ... I hope they make one that lets us access files stored on external hdd ... With a scraper like Plex ... (apple tv does have a 8gig of internal storage) and that would be more then enough to store the scraper library for all the tv shows and movies from the external hdd ....

Life would then be sooooo sweet :)

fezparker

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2006
Tweetpic from p0sixninja latest tweet

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 225

bigpatky

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
Tweetpic from p0sixninja latest tweet

very interesting. "inject software"...sounds to me like an ability to install nitoTV or something like that where non-itunes compliant videos can be played, amongst other possibilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.