ATV2 will not play some movies - wheel ticks, no error

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by thomapa1, Feb 20, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 10, 2010
    Been having an issue where some movies will not play on my ATV2. After I select a movie to play on my home theater setup, the wheel will spin (or tick) endlessly - will not come back with an error.

They play fine on the computer - iMac / iTunes - just won't stream to the ATV2.
    If I Fast Forward the ATV2, I see a frozen screen shot of the proper spot in the movie - but the movie will not stream. Last night I tried about 6 different movies - none would play.
    After checking for software updates (none needed) - rebooting the ATV2, rebooting the iMAC, resetting the wireless config in the ATV2 - some movies that did not play earlier would now play, but not all of them.

I download Apple format movies or use Handbrake to convert them to ATV2 format.

Any thoughts?
  2. macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2011
    Me, too!

I would love an answer to this. Seems like it may have something to do with Airport Extreme and Express being on same DNS or something like that. When I try to play on my ATV2 (never had an ATV1), the play/pause button seems to just get stuck on pause. When I try to access the "Apple TV" on my iTunes Airplay speakers, it says someone else is using it or I get an error message. Would love input.