Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DianeK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
Is the ATV tied to a single Apple ID? I idiotically set up my own Apple ID when I bought my iMac. Our ATv will only see my husband's MBP (he set up the ATv) and not my iMac. I can AirPlay mirror to the ATv but cannot access my computer via Computer on the ATv's menu.
Diane

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
You have to use the same Apple ID to set up iTunes Home Sharing. If you go to the 'File' menu iTunes and open to 'Home Sharing' sub-menu, it'll tell you what Apple ID (if any) is currently being used for Home Sharing. If you change that to you husband's Apple ID, then your MacBook library should show up on the Apple TV.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
Note that Home Sharing is just used for Sharing among your devices on the internal network. The AppleID used for Home Sharing is separate from the one that you use to access the iTunes Store for purchases & rentals.

DianeK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
Note that Home Sharing is just used for Sharing among your devices on the internal network. The AppleID used for Home Sharing is separate from the one that you use to access the iTunes Store for purchases & rentals.

Well then, this is where I get confused. We do have Home Sharing set up with the same ID for both computers, but only my husband's MBP shows up as a device in the Computer menu, my iMac doesn't. Our understanding was as you stated above and that's why we enabled Home Sharing on both computers with the same ID. But when my computer wouldn't show up as a device on the ATv, then I started wondering if it had something to do with our separate AppleID's for purchases and rentals.
So I guess the bottom line is, it seems we have set up Home Sharing correctly but my iMac will not appear in ATv's Computer menu. :confused:

DianeK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
Confused or stupid, you judge...didn't realize I actually had to have iTunes open...duh :eek:
Diane

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.