ATV3 and Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Dr. McKay, Dec 17, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2010
    Belgium, Europe
    I currently own an early 2008 iMac (2.8Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM) running ML.
    It's not that I'm unhappy with ML, but I miss the 'snappiness' I had with SL. I just don't feel that my iMac has the necessary horsepower for ML.
    I'm therefore considering downgrading back to SL.

However, I'm also interested in buying an Apple TV3. What would I be missing out on if I didn't have ML anymore, apart from the iCloud stuff and considering I can still run the latest version of iTunes on SL ?
  2. macrumors newbie

Apr 9, 2012
    ATV3 & ML vs. SL

I have the ATV2 and ATV3. I use the 3 several times a week, mostly for Netflix and to stream iTunes from my iMac upstairs in the office. It works really great and I never have any issues with it.

I have a mid-2010 iMac (i3 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM) running ML. I do agree with you that SL was very snappy. I would go back to running SL if iMessage and Notes were supported.

The 2.8GHz C2D is plenty for ML, 4GB of memory is a little low, I would recommend at least 8GB. The early 2008 iMac (2.8GHz 24") can handle 6GB max. All you would need to purchase is the 4GB module. Its the 200 pin PC2-6400 (800MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM. Crucial sells these at a really cheap price. This would help ML out a bit.

I just sold my late 2008 MacBook Pro which was running ML, it had a 2.4GHz C2D with 8GB ram. It ran ML very well. I purchased a new mid 2012 MBP with an i7 2.3GHz and I maxed the ram out in it to 16GB. ML is very happy on it I should say.
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2010
    Belgium, Europe
    In Activity Monitor, page outs are always at zero. Free memory (green) never goes below 500Mb.
    Not a heavy user. Some iTunes, iPhoto, iWork and internet. Some occasional gaming. Memory is not really the problem. I don't think 2Gb of extra memory would make a difference. A C2D is of an older generation, even a basic Core i3 blows the socks of my C2D.
    I agree, ML runs quite nicely, but I miss the responsiveness of SL. I've tried out ML on new machines in a shop, there's no comparison : my iMac feels like a turtle compared to the new ones.

But anyway, I wouldn't miss out on too much when going back to SL, right ?
  4. macrumors 601

Feb 8, 2004
    Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Snow Leopard works fine with :apple:TV3. From what I can tell, :apple:TV3 is much more dependent on iTunes than the underlying OS. Snow Leopard runs iTunes 11 just fine. If I'm missing something in :apple:TV3 functionality while sticking with the Snow Leopard OS, I don't know what it would be.