Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
that all games must use the Siri remote first , you can't have a game in the App Store that's third party controller only

Apples thinking is that not everybody is going to buy a gaming controller so all games must use the Siri remote

Also they don't just want ports of current games in the AppStore , they want developers to come out with new exciting games that use the Siri remote

What is your take on this ? Some devs are mad about this and some welcome the challenge

Here's a new article on it
http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/7/9466657/why-apple-tv-games-use-siri-remote

321estrellas

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
I think Apple is shooting themselves in the foot by limiting the ATV4 like this. There could be so much potential with ATV gaming but Apple can't limit the devs like this.

If all games MUST use the Siri remote, then that's fine, but at least have the controller as an alternative, not as a "2nd player or more" only type thing.

I can't imagine using the Siri remote to be all that exciting with games, but I would love to be proven wrong.

What would really be awesome is if an iPhone can be used as a controller AND screen. Kind of like how Wii U uses their gamepad and TV for separate purposes.

Reactions: Basic75

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Games consoles with a heavy requirement on optional extra hardware have always faced difficulties in the market. Even worse if the component is third party.

It fragments the market for games. The best games require the extra component, which annoys customers, but with only a part of the market owning that component it becomes risky for the developer to commit to it. The confusion causes lack of commitment from either customer or developers.

This goes back a while, beyond Kinect (spit), to things like SegaCD and plenty of other dead-ends in between.

So Apple are absolutely right to insist all games run on the minimum hardware. But it's so tedious and predictable that the minimum hardware just isn't cut out for 'real' games. I do wish they'd get over the rectangle and circle fetish and realise some thing need to be shaped to fit the purpose at hand (literally in the case).

Reactions: 2010mini

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Shooting selves in the foot.

Also the new stance on removing people's past purchase history willy nilly.

Who would buy from App store now? Sticking with my Steambox.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
There will be people who buy it without reading requirements, so I can fully understand Apples thinking. No one says the remote support has to be good for a game.

321estrellas

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
Who would buy from App store now? Sticking with my Steambox.

I will still buy...of course it's not going to compete with PC and console gaming, but maybe just taking mobile device gaming a step up.

I will be happy to buy $1-5 games to let my toddler daughter have fun with. Better than buying a Wii/WiiU and paying $60 a game!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.