Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
The remote loop is a good idea if you use the motion games. It has retractable hooks that secure it in place, so it's not the typical lightning connection.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
So I picked up an ATV3 yesterday afternoon. So far we are very happy with it. It is performing extremely well and has been glitch-free.

As for the games, we have tried Altos Adventure, Beat Sports, 10 Pin Shuffle, Paco Car Chase, Crossy Road, and Asphalt 8. They are all good games and translate well to the big screen.

My 7 year old daughter is really loving Beat Sports. It has a surprising amount of variety and character for a game where your on-screen character stands in one place the entire time.

Looks like this is going to be a winner in our household.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
So I picked up an ATV3 yesterday afternoon. So far we are very happy with it. It is performing extremely well and has been glitch-free.

As for the games, we have tried Altos Adventure, Beat Sports, 10 Pin Shuffle, Paco Car Chase, Crossy Road, and Asphalt 8. They are all good games and translate well to the big screen.

My 7 year old daughter is really loving Beat Sports. It has a surprising amount of variety and character for a game where your on-screen character stands in one place the entire time.

Looks like this is going to be a winner in our household.

Welcome to the club :) Good to hear from someone with a positive attitude towards the Apple TV, it's only going to get better.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Welcome to the club :) Good to hear from someone with a positive attitude towards the Apple TV, it's only going to get better.

Thanks. I'm also quite amazed at how much better Airplay works on this model than the prior one. Now, most videos on my iPhone start playing instantly or maybe after 10 seconds of load time, whereas on the AppleTV 2 it often took so long I gave up, even on videos just a couple minutes long.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Your question is a little strange: you can't judge the device itself by the quality of the games right now.

As a gaming device, granted being one for smaller games than the big consoles, then yes it's a great little cheap game console if you purchase a good game controller with it (I got the Nimbus and it IS a fantastic controller). BUT with one caveat: Apple's policy to force games to support the Siri remote. It's incredibly crippling, and hopefully they will revisit and remove this policy. Maybe they could add an icon in the App Store that says something like "require a dedicated game controller".

As for the current selection of games themselves, it entirely depend on what games you like. I'm sure you can try most of them on your other iOS devices. And there's surely more to come now that there is a real App Store in there. But something we can answer you is: these games runs great on the ATV4. At least all the ones I tried.

So far the games I've been playing the most:
- Breakneck
- Rayman Adventures
- Oceanhorn
- Edge EX
- Asphalt 8
- Jetpack Joyride
- Crossy Road (never liked it on other devices, but this time with the Nimbus I kind of enjoy it)

I'm a little sad no new games were added since I got my ATV4 a week ago. Hopefully they'll start flocking soon!

They definitely need to get rid of that "must use that little remote or else!" policy. I'm guessing that's something to make sure nobody's mad at needing extra parts. Ugh. As you said, just have a big, screaming icon that says "YOU NEED A GAME CONTROLLER FOR THIS, DUMBASS." I mean it's like not supporting commerce apps if they don't support Apple Pay.

Asphalt 8 is definitely good. I'm liking Flick QB and something called 10-pin something whatever bowling and shuffleboard.

Reactions: patohi

ajforbes20

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
USA
Lumino City was a pretty phone game to play with my wife and try and figure out together, an experience we couldn't have had on the phone

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I wish there was a YouTube channel dedicated to iOS game reviews such as what we get with IGN and GameSpot. There are so many games out there that it is pick overload especially with the major differences in gaming styles from consoles with pay to play and the inner workings of timers and such.

I want console type experiences in the ATV in ways games progress and eventually end.

Reactions: OttawaGuy

patohi

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Gaming on Apple TV is pretty much underwhelming.
I think the remote requirement is hurting its potential.
Most of the games that I've played with the remote are absolutely awful playing experiences.(except maybe one button tap games)
There are plenty of great iOS games out there that are no brainer ports for the Apple TV, but this forcing delvopers to waste their time to come up with some good enough horrible Siri remote experience is really wrong.
I bought a nimbus and had some fun with geometry wars 3 and Edge. But nothing good has come out in the last couple of months and I just ended up playing steam.
It's kinda sad to see something that has quite a lot of potential ruined by silly requirements.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Strike! (Bowling app) is pretty fun app once you got a hang of the remote (which took me about a couple of days). Working well with SIRI remote, almost like it was designed having this game in mind.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
I'm a super casual gamer, and love it. As a kid I had Nintendo, Sega Genesis, N64, and then my younger brother picked up the console acquiring duties on Christmas morning from there.

I'm enjoying the gaming on the ATV 4. Ocean Horn has a lot of similarities to the N64 Zelda games, and I think it's a good jumping off point for showing where the ATV can go.

I did get a Nimbus controller (and recommend it if you plan on gaming a lot). It works well as a general TV controller as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: matrix07

FilmfreundCH

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2015
Unrealistic, simplistic or cartoonish graphics do not a bad game make. Despite having a few Forza games for Xbox One. Drive Club, Project Cars and NFS:Rivals on PS 4. My most played racing game this year has been Mario Kart 8, it's a blast.

If you like Mario Kart, try Beach Buggy Racing on the ATV4 - nice piece of software (the multiplayer option costs extra, though...)

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Pako Car Chase Simulator is truly superb.
Bomber Command is also very good.
Sniper 3D Assassin is good.
Disney Infinity is good but is missing some sections.
Honourable mentions: Does Not Commute, Pico Rally, Lumino City, Alto's Adventure, Rayman.

Where are the stereoscopic games?

It's a shame there are no good chess games. The Chessmasters and Chess Academy pairing is the only good chess game on iOS.
Cueist looks good but has a critical problem with the camera control.
Sega Dreamcast and arcade games would be awesome.
Namco has only had the Aussies do to Pac-Man what they did to Frogger. Crossy Road is good though. Flight Control just might work with the touchpad. Maybe.
Full Fat has only got Flick Quarterback. Hurry up with Flick Soccer.
Amd it's a travesty that there are no good golf games, either. Super Stickman Golf and Pro Feel Gold should make the jump.
And Square should have something for us. Hopefully Konami too.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I like the shooter type games like Geometry wars and that airplane scrolling game (can't remember the name right now).

Any others out there like that? Those are my favorites.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Apart from Battle Supremacy: Evolution, and Galaxy on Fire (when they FINALLY added controller support), Rayman, and Riptide, and that Dragon Hunter game, the games I recently downloaded have been *abysmal* to say the least.

Not to mention "streaming game levels" are horrible on those of us with budget-lowspeed DSL lines.

It looks like the AppleTV is loosing steam (no pun intended).

The "new" games look like ports - from the original iPhone... :eek:

Are you kidding?

Kinda hard to go from playing on ATV4, then playing Killzone PS4 or Halo 5 (I know, next gen console compared to a $150 set top box).

But still, I'm starting to thing you're better off with a refurbished ATV3 for $60 and a used PS3/XB360 around $100.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
How is Galaxy on Fire now? I saw the initial reviews were poor (though they don't let people post commentary, so I'm not sure what the specific complaints are - I imagine lack of third party controller support was a big one).

I would like to pick it up if it's good enough.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I used to be a console gamer back in the day, but haven't really done much gaming at all in the last 2-3 years.

I got the ATV4 and downloaded a free game (some racing game, name escapes me right now) just to see how well it played, how the graphics looked, etc. I have to say, I was REALLY impressed. The game play motion was smooth and fluid (didn't notice much lag or "jankiness"), and the graphics looked really nice. The graphics are one thing I cannot understand. Console systems and PC gaming systems have big graphics cards, fans, heat sinks, etc. And here is the ATV4 - the size of a hockey puck, silent, no fans...but it still puts out graphics comparable to console systems (maybe not Xbox One type graphics, but maybe comparable to XB360?).

Reactions: George Dawes

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think the games are pretty neat. I don't think there are many for serious gamers but a lot of them are fun. I think the Apple TV is comparable to the Wii in terms of style and quality of games. I have the original wii which I still enjoy from time to time. I think it's more for casual gamers than hardcore gamers. I wish I could play my old classics on there such as Sonic, streets of rage, Street Fighter and Soul Calibur. I play them on my iPad but it would be so nice to play them on the big screen again.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I think the games are pretty neat. I don't think there are many for serious gamers but a lot of them are fun. I think the Apple TV is comparable to the Wii in terms of style and quality of games. I have the original wii which I still enjoy from time to time. I think it's more for casual gamers than hardcore gamers. I wish I could play my old classics on there such as Sonic, streets of rage, Street Fighter and Soul Calibur. I play them on my iPad but it would be so nice to play them on the big screen again.
I had the same thought...ATV4 is kinda like the Wii for gamers. Not extremely graphics intensive, more interactive, more for the casual "light gamer" than the hardcore gamer. For a system that only costs around $120 and didn't having gaming capabilities before, it feels like a nice (almost) free add-on. :)

Reactions: satcomer

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Newest addition to my ATV 4 collection: AG Drive

A blast ;)
Ah, that's a great game. I've had the iOS version for a while, bt didn't realize it was out for the ATV. Should be great on my home theater setup on the big projection screen. :D Maybe it's time to invest in a Nimbus controller.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
The graphics are one thing I cannot understand. Console systems and PC gaming systems have big graphics cards, fans, heat sinks, etc. And here is the ATV4 - the size of a hockey puck, silent, no fans...but it still puts out graphics comparable to console systems (maybe not Xbox One type graphics, but maybe comparable to XB360?).

Believe it or not, the Xbox360 was first released over 10 years ago (2005), and the hardware design was probably locked in two years prior to that. CPU/GPU design has improved vastly since then, especially with Apple pushing the envelope in mobile low-power system-on-a-chip design. It doesn't surprise me at all.

That said, you can play Call of Duty Black Ops or Grand Theft Auto V on an Xbox 360, but there's nothing at that level on the ATV4. It's still early days for the ATV4, but the question is whether the ATV will ever see games of that complexity or size of world on the platform. That probably has more to do with the App Store market conditions than the hardware, given that anything over $5 is considered "exorbitant" on the App Store. The only exception so far is Disney Infinity, which I bought for my daughter for $80 and does successfully demonstrate what a "real console game" looks like on the ATV.

Reactions: sdilley14

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I wish there was a YouTube channel dedicated to iOS game reviews such as what we get with IGN and GameSpot. There are so many games out there that it is pick overload especially with the major differences in gaming styles from consoles with pay to play and the inner workings of timers and such.

I want console type experiences in the ATV in ways games progress and eventually end.

Afterpad Apple TV Games

148apps.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.