Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hinesmj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
New York
ATV4 (64GB) has worked flawlessly since Christmas. However, yesterday, when I turned it on, the home screen came up as normal. But when I tried to open an app (Netflix), it just went to a blank white screen and stuck there. Tried force closing apps, restarting, etc. and nothing worked. I figured my best bet was to do a factory restore. Of course, as the factory restore is about halfway done, we lost power due to a storm. Now all that comes up when I turn the ATV on is a picture of an ATV with a lightning cord going to an iTunes symbol. I set up an apt with the genius bar, but I'm wondering if I should have them try to fix it or just ask for a replacement. If I do ask for a replacement, am I going to get a brand new one, or just a refurbished one? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
ATV4 (64GB) has worked flawlessly since Christmas. However, yesterday, when I turned it on, the home screen came up as normal. But when I tried to open an app (Netflix), it just went to a blank white screen and stuck there. Tried force closing apps, restarting, etc. and nothing worked. I figured my best bet was to do a factory restore. Of course, as the factory restore is about halfway done, we lost power due to a storm. Now all that comes up when I turn the ATV on is a picture of an ATV with a lightning cord going to an iTunes symbol. I set up an apt with the genius bar, but I'm wondering if I should have them try to fix it or just ask for a replacement. If I do ask for a replacement, am I going to get a brand new one, or just a refurbished one? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

I would have thought a new one to be honest, but you have tried everything I would have done.

May be best to leave until your appointment.

Jax44

Contributor
Jul 24, 2010
Carmel, California

Plug it into iTunes on your computer.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I would, but it's a USB-C cable, which I don't have. I don't want to buy one for this specifically since it should still be under warranty.
Sounds like you've made up your mind then, having it replaced with a used one.

hinesmj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
New York
Sounds like you've made up your mind then, having it replaced with a used one.
That's what I don't quite understand though...if I bring it in, and request a replacement, will Apple give me a brand new one, or a refurbished one? I've had terrible luck with refurbished electronics overall and I'd like to avoid this. I just want to know what to expect when I go in there.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
That's what I don't quite understand though...if I bring it in, and request a replacement, will Apple give me a brand new one, or a refurbished one? I've had terrible luck with refurbished electronics overall and I'd like to avoid this. I just want to know what to expect when I go in there.

I believe Apple will always replace yours with a new one in a generic cardboard box, no? They sell refurbished one online but I have never read they replaced it with ones.

alexthegreat80

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
NYC/CT
former genius here.
The replacements are typically refurbished. You wont know it, but it could be a new one, depends on how many they have been able to refurbish since it came out. IF they don't have any replacement models in stock and the manager does an override of the system to allow for a retail (new) replacement. if you are in the return period they can just do an exchange.

i would suggest that you get a USB-C cable if you don't want a replacement one. Buy one from the apple store- go home plug into your itunes- then take it back with in return period and ask for a refund they will do it no questions asked.

hinesmj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
New York
former genius here.
The replacements are typically refurbished. You wont know it, but it could be a new one, depends on how many they have been able to refurbish since it came out. IF they don't have any replacement models in stock and the manager does an override of the system to allow for a retail (new) replacement. if you are in the return period they can just do an exchange.

i would suggest that you get a USB-C cable if you don't want a replacement one. Buy one from the apple store- go home plug into your itunes- then take it back with in return period and ask for a refund they will do it no questions asked.
Thanks for the help! I wish it was that easy...I got mine on Black Friday for $50 off at Target. If I use your suggestion, I'll have to spend $50 to get a new unit...

alexthegreat80

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
NYC/CT
Thanks for the help! I wish it was that easy...I got mine on Black Friday for $50 off at Target. If I use your suggestion, I'll have to spend $50 to get a new unit...

then go buy a usb C cable- use it on your apple tv 4 to reinstall it. if it doesnt work you have to go back to apple store anyway.... return cable- go to genius bar. get replacement.

Reactions: T5BRICK

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
OP, you're making this really difficult for yourself. If your AppleTV isn't working, Apple will take care of you. If the replacement has an issue, Apple will take care of you.

Honestly, I'd just take it in. You may get a new unit or a refurbished one, but in the end if it works, it's better than the current non-working unit.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Apples refurbs are in great condition, nothing to concern yourself with -- you're making it all much harder than necessary. All available options have been shared with you, and you're resistant to all of them -- not sure why you typed your original question. Good luck! :confused:

Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 7.45.13 PM.png

Last edited:

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I'm pretty certain you'll get a new replacement, I thought refurbs were towards the end of the current products cycle...
Nope -- you might get a new one the first couple weeks after a product launch, but as soon as there are refurbs available, that's what you'll get -- unless they're out. With the ATV4 though, I'd say 'refurbs' are pretty much new units that someone tried out for a week or so and returned.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
Nope -- you might get a new one the first couple weeks after a product launch, but as soon as there are refurbs available, that's what you'll get -- unless they're out. With the ATV4 though, I'd say 'refurbs' are pretty much new units that someone tried out for a week or so and returned.
Still a refurb isn't a bad way to go

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I've had terrible luck with refurbished electronics overall and I'd like to avoid this.

I understand exactly what you mean, but trust me, Apple's refurbs are substantially superior than everyone else's refurbs. I've seen some real crap slung out, such as an Alienware with moldy food in the keyboard, and often very short warranties. They dump it on you and really don't want to see it back a third time.

In contrast, Apple's refurbs are like-new, including remanufacturing and repackaging, even the little clear plastic protective strips to protect the finish. Warranty is exactly the same as new, not shortened. Mobile products like an iPod are disassembled and get a brand new battery and case. I've had two refurb ATV's, a refurb iPhone, and even a $2000+ refurb Mac Pro. No regrets whatsoever.

In any case, it doesn't matter. The unit you have doesn't work, so you need to get it switched out. The replacement will also have a warranty, so even if it's a refurb they'll make right on it too if there is a problem.

hinesmj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
New York
I understand exactly what you mean, but trust me, Apple's refurbs are substantially superior than everyone else's refurbs. I've seen some real crap slung out, such as an Alienware with moldy food in the keyboard, and often very short warranties. They dump it on you and really don't want to see it back a third time.

In contrast, Apple's refurbs are like-new, including remanufacturing and repackaging, even the little clear plastic protective strips to protect the finish. Warranty is exactly the same as new, not shortened. Mobile products like an iPod are disassembled and get a brand new battery and case. I've had two refurb ATV's, a refurb iPhone, and even a $2000+ refurb Mac Pro. No regrets whatsoever.

In any case, it doesn't matter. The unit you have doesn't work, so you need to get it switched out. The replacement will also have a warranty, so even if it's a refurb they'll make right on it too if there is a problem.

Thank you. I appreciate you actually answering the question I had without a snarky comment. It was informative and addressed my concerns, which is what I was hoping for when I posted originally. It's nice to know that not everyone on the internet needs to insert a passive-aggressive dig when commenting on something! Thanks again.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
Your ATV4 doesn't sound broken, when you go to the apple store, just ask the genius to reinstall its OS, and I'm sure you'll be fine!

Imagine formatting you computer and having the power cutout in the middle, you'd have to start over. Technically, this is what happened to your device, right now tvOS is only "half installed", it just need to be put back on it :)

pirata

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2012
Colorado
You might as well get a cable in case you find yourself in this same situation again later on. Probably nothing wrong with your current atv4 just needs to be restored, sound like its probably just in dfu mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.