Atx-does apple use it?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by aafuss1, Mar 9, 2003.

1. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

Does Apple motherboards use the ATX form factor-like PC's do nowdays or a custom form factor design?

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

most big companies dont use the atx form factor. thats usually with custom build computers when you buy a mobo and all the parts.

iJon

3. aafuss1 thread starter macrumors 68000

aafuss1

iJon-most IBM compatibles now days use ATX-impossible for one to buy a AT motherboard. I reckon Apple uses something like ATX,but with support for their PSU on the Powermac G4's-just like on Pc';s Perentium 4's require sprialPSU plug.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

isnt the connector for the power supply the main factor when ti comes to being atx form factor. like compaq, it looks like atx but they have their own powersupply so you cant go buy it somewhere, you have to get it from them. same with apple and most big companies. plus, if it was atx couldnt you just go buy a mobo and pop it in there, which probably wouldnt fit in name brand cases, unless they were atx cases for building a comuter.

iJon

5. Bear macrumors G3

The differences between AT and ATX are:
    • Power Supply connectors.
    • Mounting screw placement
    • Assorted LED and switch connecitons on the motherboard.
    • I/O connector placement
    Some of the name brand computer manufacturers use custom motherboards. The customizations include I/O connector placement and mounting hole placement. Also powersupply connectors might be different.

Since Apple uses a different spread of I/O connectors, it doesn't matter much if it has ATX power connectors or mounting holes placed to the ATX specification.

6. aafuss1 thread starter macrumors 68000

aafuss1

Exactly-i/o pl;acement on powermacs is narly similar to ones used with PV's-altough say pd4's newed a ATX12V,m and dual or G4's would also require a cudtom APSU cconnection. Anyway my question is resolved.