AU$255 off 15" 1.67GHz PowerBook at macmall.com.au

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by oingoboingo, Feb 21, 2005.

1. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

For any Aussies out there considering the purchase of a new 1.67GHz 15" PowerBook (combo drive), I have just received a flyer from macmall.com.au. They are currently offering a 1.67GHz 15" combo drive PowerBook configured with 128MB video RAM and 1GB of RAM for AU $3549, which they're claiming is $255 off the regular price.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, thanks for that, good find. It's one of the best deals I've seen on the Pro line for a while. If I was in the market...

By the way, does anyone know if Macmall sell at edu prices? I haven't been able to find anything about it on their site. :)

3. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

I don't know about MacMall.com.au, and I didn't notice any mention of it on their main site, but MacZone at least used to have a separate phone number to talk to their educational sales channnel. When we bought my (now) wife's iBook years ago we were able to get edu pricing plus their MacZone throw-ins. This was in the US, by the way .... So it might be worth a try to call them and ask if they give edu pricing even if it's not on the site. This was a while ago for me, though.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

OK, thanks mcgarry. I'll look into it. :)

I'm still a bit new to Macs so I really don't know of all the best places to make purchases yet.

5. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Yeah, I thought you might be waiting a bit to get a post from someone who actually knows something about the Australian market, unlike me; but in the interim a phone call can't hurt.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There's no rush though. Not a chance I'm getting that elusive iMac G5 for a while... It's just good to shop around and until I find out exactly where those places are, it makes it a little tricky... :)

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I recently purchased a PowerBook G4 1.67 15" SuperDrive through my work using salary sacrifice, I paid AUD$3045 for it, not including the extra tax savings on my pay, and the tax return bonus for actually buying this for "work" (read World of Warcraft at work). If you've got the option of doing it this way you'll end up saving a heap of cash.

8. oingoboingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Here's the direct link to the specials page where the deal is mentioned:

http://www.macmall.com.au/mall/customer/product.php?productid=1350&cat=379&page=1

BTW Mad Jew, macmall.com.au is the web storefront for AppleCentre Chatswood. They certainly do offer the standard Apple Australia educational discount. I bought my 12" PowerBook from there and used my student card to get the standard 10% discount. I don't know however if they offer an educational discount on top of this special price they have at the moment. Can't hurt to ask.

9. oingoboingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

That's a really good price. Was that including the 1GB of system RAM and the 128MB video RAM upgrade?

10. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I didn't bother adding any BTO options as I wanted to receive the machine as fast as I could, plus I have a Power Mac G5 for anything that requires real processing power, although I must say in normal use there isn't much perceived difference in speed between them (not that I've tried ripping a dvd, etc on the PowerBook yet). I work for an IT reseller and I had a 1 GB RAM SO-DIMM lying around so I added that to the machine for a total of 1.5 GB of RAM, I would of gone for the 128 MB video RAM update if it was the only Mac I owned, not that it's important since the 64 MB version plays WoW perfectly well!

So my total saving would be $600 on the notebook, and whatever a 1 GB SO-DIMM costs ($555 according to macmall.com.au - seems too high to me, but whatever). Great notebook, at an even better price!

If anyone is interested in the rather dodgy results of xbench being run on a PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz 15" I dumped them here: http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge.xhtml?doc2=98908 you might want to compare them to an iMac G5 1.6 GHz it makes interesting reading.

* Disclaimer xbench is dodgy at best!

11. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Looks like they are having problems moving the combo drive, because this deal only applies to that from what i can see...

12. oingoboingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Quite possibly. It'd be interesting to know the full story behind the discounting...it's just so rare in Australia to see this type of thing unless a model is being cleared from inventory to make way for something new. Since the 1.67GHz 15" PowerBook is only a few weeks old, somehow I don't think an inventory flush is what's going on here.