AU Optronics Developing Retina Display for Second-Generation iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 7, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

SlashGear reports on an article [Google translation] from Chinese site DoNews claiming that Apple's iPad mini display partner AU Optronics has a Retina-resolution display in the pipeline for the next generation of the device, which is expected to be launched next year. There has been considerable discussion about how quickly Apple might be able to move to a Retina display in the device, and today's report suggests that Apple may not have to wait several generations to make the jump as it did with its other iOS devices.

[​IMG]
    A separate report from MENAFN claims that AU Optronics will be adopting indium gallium zinc oxide (IGZO) and Gate IC on array (GOA) technologies in order to reach the Retina resolution in a thin design required for the iPad mini.
    One major issue with both of the reports is confusion over the pixel density on these panels. Both reports claim that the Retina-level iPad mini display would carry a density of 497 pixels per inch (ppi), whereas such a display would actually have the same 326 ppi seen on the last several generations of the iPhone. MENAFN also misstates the density of the full-size iPad's display as 326 ppi, while DoNews correctly lists it as 264 ppi.

Article Link: AU Optronics Developing Retina Display for Second-Generation iPad Mini?

2. macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Either way; I'm waiting for the Retina Mini. :D

3. macrumors regular

I'm not surprised, Retina is the lifeline of Apple, a upcoming Mini should have that.

4. macrumors 65816

JaySoul

The sooner, the better.

5. macrumors 65816

Well it's about time the iPad mini get the retina display. Seriously, why did Apple release the mini without it?

6. macrumors 6502a

ncaissie

The next mini comes in April with Retina display.

7. macrumors regular

ironsienna

Expect even lower sales now after all these rumours... who is going to buy a tablet that will be obsolete in half a year?

8. macrumors 68040

They leak it anyway because the general public doesnt follow this stuff and the Apple fans are going to buy it regardless.

9. macrumors 65816

I agree with this. And the iPad 5th gen

10. macrumors regular

They don't care what Apple is going to do to hunt down their revenue, but they just want to be the FIRST to leak these info.

11. macrumors 68040

Is that a serious question?

12. macrumors regular

Typical Apple, extracting all consumer surplus!

13. macrumors 65816

Because a panel probably didn't exist...
    Also means that that dev's don't have to change any (much) code as it's the same res as ipad 2

Does mean that when the mini 2 comes out they will have 2 products as they do with ipad 2 and 4 probably and can compete better with other 7" tabs

14. macrumors 65816

Caliber26

Please don't say that. I just ordered mine last night for pick-up today. But I wouldn't be surprised if they do release iPad 5 and iPad Mini 2 during WWDC.

15. macrumors 68040

the8thark

The issue here is not powering retina on a Mini.
    The issue is does the mini have enough internal space to have a battery large enough to give a good battery life with a retina screen?

16. macrumors 6502

agreed! so many are used to the retina class resolution by now.

mini would have been good compared to the first kindle fire, but now the mini comes across as yesterday's technology with an inflated price tag.

17. macrumors 68040

rwilliams

This is why I wouldn't waste my money on the 1st generation Mini. You know that a Retina version is on the way.

18. macrumors 603

justperry

iPad Mini just released and already rumors of an iPad Mini 2.:eek:

19. macrumors newbie

now the price makes more sense

The $329 price makes more sense now, as they will inevitably say "new iPad mini with retina display at the same amazing price". They wouldn't want to raise the cost from say $249, or sell at cost because of the pricier display.

I'm really happy with my iPad 3, but it does feel too big sometimes and a bother to bring places. A retina iPad mini would make me consider switching!

20. macrumors regular

Anyone who believes the next iPad mini WON'T have a retina display is seriously deluded. Most likely by their impatience and urge to buy it now.

21. macrumors member

We all knew this was going to happen and sooner rather then later. Look for an early spring release on the new Mini with Retina, 1GB Ram and an A6. The crying we heard from iPad 3 owners will be nothing like that of the early Mini adopters.

22. macrumors member

Sharpness is relative to the distance you view the content at and the real world size of the screen.

eg - on a TV you only perceive full HD up to a certain distance from your plasma after which the detail becomes imperceivable.

On the smaller ipad Id rather have the CPU driving snappier apps and grunty creative stuff than driving more pixels just to read my email.

Retina a little overkill except on the full size iPad?

23. macrumors 68020

Gix1k

It's legitimate....what's your beef?

24. macrumors 6502

extricated

I feel a little better about my decision to wait.

25. macrumors 68020

Gix1k

This scares me as well. As long as I can sell my current mini for a fair price, i'll sell and get the new one for sure. A retina display is really in major need on this thing.